Skip to content

Yahoo Search Set to Replace Google Within FireFox

Seeing as this forum is about GSA which is a link building tool, I figured I'd create an off-topic thread for those who may have missed the news.

This is pretty big IMO. This may be quite beneficial to some here if yahoo/bing market share soars since yahoo/bing seem to love mass spam.

Here's a link:

http://searchengineland.com/yahoo-becomes-default-search-engine-firefox-browser-209267

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

The problem is that firefox is no longer the top used browser. Unfortunately Chrome is :(

I still prefer old opera 12.x though.

• Yeah. I liked Opera way back when too but can't remember what the version was, lol. Now it's just terrible.

Chrome hit 20% market share I think it was recently. But even with firefox's 15% or whatever they have now + existing Windows shitty default IE I can see bing/yahoo's market share rise a bit. I'd DEF like to see it.

Bing/Yahoo is just Google 2011. Surely it would help SEOs if searches increased. Hell, it would help PPC people as well (myself included). Bing Ads is way cheaper and generally better with conversion rates.
    Ha just because you mentioned ppc...G. kicked us out of there adwords program because we have "mass marketing" programs on the same webpage. Though we where advertising a totally different program (science - image analysis). That we have programs like an "email extractor" on the same domain was enough for them to kick us. That should tell enough what G. is all about....money and if they see people can do money without there adsense, they ban you.
  • Yeah I can't stand adwords or it's reps. They've always just been 'bout the cash. Probably why they throw out so many animal updates to trash the search results constantly.

If I were you I'd copy all of your campaigns on over to Bing Ads. Sure, you will be getting way less clicks, but you will also be paying 30-50% less on the majority of keywords. Plus, since most of your traffic is coming from less than average intelligence IE users they convert like crazy.

As far as my own testing with adwords vs bingads on the per-sale & per-lead model, I'd say Bing Ads converts 2-3x better. Too many adwords users that I know disregard Bing/Yahoo completely. Seems stupid to me if you're in the PPC game.
    hmm we skipped G. completely now for over a year and get along as well. In the end people will realize whats good and spread the news somehow.
  • True. You have several very good products so you get a ton of free referring traffic, etc.

Bet you'd still turn a nice profit if you got a decent campaign setup for backlink/seo related keywords on bing ads but yeah not like you're hurting for money, lol.
    Naw, if we would, SER would probably a monthly license model. ;)
  • Most people who have FF browser already have Google as default search.

Don't see how it would have huge impact since users who usually download alternative browsers are tech savvy enough to figure out how to change default search provider.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    Do'ya know how easy it is to switch default search providers on FF? Lol.
  • Do'ya know how lazy people are? Yes, it's easy as hell to switch search on FF but there's a WHOLE lot of stupid/lazy people out there. Most just use IE, which uses bing, but even some idiots use FF. Just sayin'

Obviously it's a matter of opinion how "big" the news is but this will for sure increase bing/yahoo search impressions. There's no way to tell by how much without time though. But yeah, I agree it's not MAJOR news or anything, but I find it interesting & rather important to know.
  • does anybody use GWT (webmaster's tools) to track their affiliate websites?
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    I don't use GWT
  • Tim89 -  yeah, Tim, thanks for that..,i only asked because i read on all the forums, never to use GWT for your affiliate sites.
    i have a few affiliate sites and took them all off GWT but its not made a difference so i was wondering if this is only a Myth??
    has anyone else seen a difference in rankings?