Skip to content

GSA SER not stopping!

@Sven, sometimes when I stop SER, there remain around 5 threads which won't stop. So I can't close the program and some project remain in 'Stopping' mode.
How can I prevent this?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    for that I would need to know whats the thread currently doing. Send a bugreport with the HELP menu with a note to this thread once it happens again.
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    @Sven this is happening to me still. It was only on the two problematic servers I had, but I dropped one of them. Now I'm getting it on a few other servers as well.
    sorry but till now all I see is that this comes from the open-ssl dll...will debug closer for next version
    @Sven I just submitted three bug reports from three different servers.

2 are from the same VPS host, and 1 is from a different host.

I have 17 servers from that host and only these two are giving me trouble. They're all the same version of windows, no updates, same versions of SER and CB, Dropbox is the only other program installed.

If it were the DLL problem, wouldn't you expect it to happen regularly and on all of the servers? All of the servers run the same site list with 20k urls so they go through every URL multiple times per day and all of them will hit https sites at least once an hour. I just checked the list and there are about 150 https URLs in this current list.
    I don't know if this helps, but if a campaign won't release the threads, I can still run other campaigns. The real problem occurs with the scheduler because it never starts the next cycle.image
  • I sent a bugreport as well
    @Sven, would it help if I sent bug reports from servers that are working correctly? Would that help to compare the two servers? I have a bunch of identical servers from the same host, some work, some don't.
    no not at all. With the new update, I don't even see any issue anymore. The hanging threads are on the way to quit but something on your system is prefenting this.
    @Sven I have 17 servers from one company, they're all the exact same setup and it only happens on a couple of them. The others work perfectly. I would agree it was my systems if it happened on all of them. I've submitted bug reports for 9.19 where this is still happening.
    strange. I will try to debug this further but right now I see nothing how I can avoid this.
  • @Sven I'm still getting this problem, it happens almost every time I stop SER. I sent 3 bug reports
  • If this happens and you really need to stop SER, can't you just end the task from task manager?
  • @Monie - I can, but not all links are saved in that case. Also sometimes I need to stop just one project, not end the whole program
    @monie @ptr22 is correct. Not all of the links are saved. I have to quit from task manager multiple times per day which loses links on all of the recently run campaigns.
  • It happens to me as well, many times.
    @mynameis940 @monie @ptr22

@Sven has asked for bug reports in the past so send him a few bug reports and put the URL on this thread in the box so he can track it.
  • I sent 4 bug reports, did you get them @Sven?
    yes, but all the same as the one from @Brandon ...it hangs deep inside a windows api ... I have no idea why and from where in my thread it is coming from.
    @Sven, what other information can we give you to help? Would you like access to one of my servers for a week?
    it seems like there is a problem with file access. If it helps, try to disable site lists and see if that does a change. As well as any other file access like log files and so on. Even though I never changed anything on that part it looks that this is coming from a file access. Maybe even a damaged file on your hard disk.
    @Sven sounds good, I'll try to disable the log and site lists.
  • edited November 2014
    This project is stopping for over 2 hours:
    @Sven, could you add an option to kill threads of a project if it can't be stopped? This problem with projects that won't stop happens to me all the time, so now I need to stop everything, kill SER process and restart it with some last links being lost.

Sorry no, that would be a dirty fix and Im more interested in finding the real cause of this. Even though you might think this is an issue happening on many systems, it is just a few...

Im a bit clueless why this happens ... still.

• I have fixed the problem above on my side, sort of, basically what i did is that i have disabled automatic verification of the links, i simply run the campaigns for few hours, stop them, verify the links and everything works fine. I guess there is something wrong with verifying the links while running the campaigns.
  • edited November 2014
    I have auto-verify on as well.
    Thanks @Sven.. Btw I'll be happy with the dirty fix if nothing else helps, because now it happens every time I try to stop one project
  • Got that problem with one project not stopping again, pressed the stop button to stop all projects and then got this error:
    So I sent a bug report (3 minutes ago) - might be related to the problem
    one bugreport i received was with less than 13MB RAM left. Might be the cause of this.
    @Sven, I ran it as you requested without the Log enabled and without any site lists enabled. It ran yesterday and today was frozen with 3 threads. I'm submitting a bug report right now.
    hmm thanks, still nothing useful in that one. I will do some more tests today in this.
    @Sven let me know if there is anything else I can test for you and try to help narrow it down.