Skip to content

GSA thread count down massively

edited November 2012 in Need Help
Hi guys

I have noticed that my thread count has gone down big time in the last 7 days or so. I used to be able to run GSA on 400-500 threads couple of weeks ago, then it went down to 250 or so, and now in the last few days my average thread count is probably between 5 and 10. 

About my setup: Host machine which AMD 8-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GN SSD, 30mbps download speed Internet. The VPS machine on it with GSA installed has dedicated 8GB RAM and 4 cores. 

I'm using proxy option built into GSA proxies and currently have 1190 showing up as working. I have ticked the box "Use Proxies Everywhere" and "Use proxies for PR checking"

I have just 2 campaigns right now running, both have about 2000 KWs in the file. I have deleted all the other campaigns since last night (had over 40) to see if that makes a difference but it doesn't. I have CaptchaSniper installed and using that to solve captchas. 

GSA is configured to use 400 threads and "Monitor PC resources and automatically lower threads" is turned off. Right now there are no other programs running except GSA and CS on that VPS and it's consuming 2GB of RAM which is good. 

So what can be the reason for such a drastic change in performance and how to fix it?

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• I see the same issues but not running nearly as many threads as you. I have a setup of 75 threads but just checked and its running at 4 where I have another that is only at 9. These are both on a VPS with a 2.65 CPU and 4gig of ram on each.
  • i have same issue just 4-10 threads running...
  • And now I am only running two projects on one and 5 on another with the CPU maxed out on each one.
  • I've just tried turning proxies off completely but it made no difference either.

Last 3 hour average thread count has been probably around 2 (two).
    Today's submitted is 422, I remember 5 days ago I had 9000 submitted (I remember cause I bought CaptchaSniper and it was the first day when I had that many submitted)
  • I purchased some private proxies because I thought the scraping was maxing out the cpu and causing low output. Still no difference.
  • increase keywords and/or delete target url history (right click project -> modify). most often you simply don't have any unknown urls to post to. and i bet with that thread count + the amount of keywords this is the case for you.

you can also add more SEs if you are just using the 4 common SEs.
  • @Ozz - Are these recommendations to me? If so then here's my answer:

I have 2 projects running, 1 is brand new I set up less than 24h ago, the other is couple of months old. One has 3 URLs in, the other has 2 target URLs in the system. Both have 156 SEs selected (all English).

As I said both have around 2k+ KWs in there and considering the new campaign is so new with all these KWs I very much doubt I have ran out of KWs already. 
  • OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    did you duplicate your new project from the older one? do you get many "already parsed" messages in the log?
    if thats the case then delete your target history.

and 2k KW isn't that much with your settings, imo. increase those and report if you notice any difference.

Edit: forgot to mention - WHAT DOES THE LOG SAY?
  • OZZ you mean selecting all English Speaking Search engines?
  • same as chaplin, this is a new project with over 2k keywords, enough SE's checked
  • OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    save logs  to file for some time (right click log), upload and post the link.

i doubt that it has something to do with one of the latest releases of SER as most changes were more or less cosmetic and nothing within the core engine. the log should give more starting points where the issues are.

@vinku: i recommended some SE in this thread. i won't recommend to select "all english", but its better than only to select the standard SEs.
  • edited November 2012
    something happened though, I've been watching my threads all day range from 7-50 with no rhyme or reason and this is on both of my installs

also, one of the installs is only verifying at the moment and not building and its still dropping the threads down to below 10
  • edited November 2012
    @Ozz The new campaign (lets call it a campaign #2) I have isn't duplicated from the old campaign (campaign #1). I have clicked Modify - Delete Target URL Cache and History on the campaign #1 and now I have been getting constantly around 100 threads between #1 and #2 so there's an improvement. I think this is more or less acceptable. 
    I'll do some more testing like turn off #1 to see how #2 is doing etc and will report back.

• OzzOzz
    edited November 2012
    as a short term solution you could set the status of the project to -> use global site list only.
    this should max out the threads again for some time, if you have enough URLs in your site lists.

however, all of you should save and post the log to get better advice when having issues regarding thread count and decreasing submission rate with SER in the future.
  • if you don't use global list on anything other than tier2 and higher then it's not an option for me but thanks for the tip
  • maybe you have the opportunity to srape a list with scrapebox and import that to your project.
  • edited November 2012
    I gave that a shot Ozz as a test and it did bring the thread count back up to the entered amount.

**edit - was short lived as the threads went back down again
  • Hmm, seems as my problem has been cured.
    I have added most of the other campaigns back again to GSA and running on 600 threads now. I can't quite understand why it is OK after I "clicked Modify - Delete Target URL Cache and History on the campaign #1" as it shouldn't affect other 30+ campaigns so maybe you guys know and make sense of it.
    And thanks for your support
  • this is still an ongoing issue as well
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

I noticed this from Friday. Soon as I did the update and running the old version makes no difference

I normally do 1k submissions an hour

2400 in 12hrs today. I stop and reboot gsa every 12hrs to clear the cache memory. Then let it rip again normally

I spent the weekend ripping my vps and gsa apart. Uninstall gsa etc. Clear duplicate domains from the site list. Check there are big keyword lists on all projects

For some reason its hanging on use of proxies. Use proxies for searching and it slows, use them for pr checking and you might just as well give up with the speed gsa runs at

It dont make any difference if you run 200 threads or 300 threads