Skip to content

Hedge Your Bets, Folks

Something I noticed is a lot of missed opportunities to get backlinks. Some of you have been able to successfully post a lot articles, but some of the sites you are posting them to don't allow anchor text backlinks. In this case, instead of the anchor text backlink, what you see in the article is the html code for the backlink.

HOWEVER... Quite a few of these sites allow for url backlinks.

Here's how I noticed the issue:

I use Firefox when manually checking for potential targets, and I make sure to have the DoFollow plugin turned on (I hope that's the name--I'm at work and can't check at the moment). I like to make sure the places I'm putting links in are DoFollow. The links are highlighted in blue if they are and highlighted in red if they're not.

When I come across an example of the issue I mentioned above, I see that the url in the html code for the anchor text is highlighted. But of course the person is not getting a backlink. Why not? Because not only is the url highlighted but any additional characters attached to the url. And as you are familiar with the html code for anchor texts, you know that other characters are attached soon after the extension (.com, org., net, etc.) of your domain, and characters before the url, too.

Not all of these sites follow the same pattern of what is considered part of the url. But in most or all of these instances, you are not getting the backlink because of additional characters attached to the url.

Hedge your bets for a backlink by placing a naked url either in the body of your article or after.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Do you have names of the engines? Everything can be changed in the ini files to support a better link placement.
  • @Sven you'll have to forgive my ignorance as I have GSA SER, but haven't used it yet just browsed it. I can't tell what the engines are. At the moment I am manually reviewing potential sites to place links at and getting new footprints along the way. This is a problem I have noticed across a lot of sites.

Is it possible for GSA SER to attempt to put a naked url in the body or bottom of the text in the event the site doesn't allow for anchor text? I don't even know if this is a GSA SER issue, I just noticed this glaring issue and just wanted to give people a heads up.

Something else I noticed is a failure to apply bb code appropriately. I see an open-ended code in the beginning such as [url=http...[/url].

If it will help at all, I will send you some examples of the problem. I don't know if you can tell where the problem is stemming from if it has to do with an engine.

SER is able to convert your html code into everything you want before submitting. Using "custom link format=..." will get you anything you like. Used in Wiki engines e.g.

If you see people placing links like [url...] than it's most likely not done by SER but by some other program. Else let me know where and I have to change some settings on that engine.

• Thanks @Sven

I will send you a couple examples as soon as I get home, which will be in about 2 hours.

• Here is the line of code Sven provided to correct the issue. Sven said the next update will have the change. I don't know if this works for all engines, but the particular example I showed Sven used Drupal, and he said to make the change in the Druapl engine.

html to custom link format=filter-guidelines-plain_text|No HTML tags allowed

Sven, thank you so much for your assistance!
    That line will only work for drupal as this text is not appearing on other engines.