Skip to content

Unexpected Results, Errors, & Questions

edited September 2012 in Bugs
I just started a new project. I wanted to start a multi-tier project, so I started with (duplicated) another project that was building links to my home page. I set up this program to only build links to Article/Doc Sharing/Social Network/Web 2.0 sites. Also set to only post to sites PR2+.

imageimageimage

1.)  Bug? - It looks like it is posting to sites that are less than PR2.

The first two domains listed are PR1. Why were links posted on these?
http://bakersfieldbug.com/
http://hamradio-builder.hamhacker.org/

http://www.elearningdesigners.nl/ is PR N/A

2.) Question - Why is MoinMoin listed as an "Article" site, when the link URL is for a profile? (can be seen in picture above)

http://hamradio-builder.hamhacker.org/MajorSrb
http://wget.addictivecode.org/LavonneKN

3.) Question - The URLs that are listed for the PHPFox sites are for the profiles. This is fine, because profiles were created. But, in looking at these, apparently, there were also blog posts made. But the URLs for the blog entries are not on the report. Why not? These links would be more valuable since they are contextual. Can GSA SER not get these URLs at the time these posts are made? Or is this a bug? Or am I not missing something?

Comments

• Did you cleared the target url cache after duplicating?
  • No. I have not heard about this. I just checked on it. I noticed there are options to "Clear" and to "Delete". What is the difference? What is this cache used for?
  • OzzOzz
    edited September 2012
    2. If you hover your mouse over the engine you get a tool tip which tells you what GSA will create for you. Same is with MediaWiki and TikiWiki.
    GSA only create a profile because its lasting longer than an article. AFAIK Sven want to give us an option to create an article to these sites at a future release.

3. Are you sure? I'm getting 2 links per site if blog posting is available. One for the profile and an extra link for the blog.
  • OzzOzz
    edited September 2012
    The target URL cache is the temporary list GSA wants to post to. If you have duplicated your project, you will duplicate the cache of the old project, too. You can clear the cache by right click project -> modify -> delete target url cache.
  • Ozz...thanks for all the answers.

I have deleted the cache. Hopefully, that takes care of #1.

As far as #2, I see what you were saying as far as mousing over the type of site and seeing what will be produced. To me, it is wrong to have these grouped in the "Article" sites when all they are producing is a profile link. They should be split out into another group that is just "Profiles" (or something). There is no article being created. For what I am wanting to do with this project, I may think about turning these sites off.

For #3, you can see all the links that are listed for this project (in the second image on my original post). For each of the PHPFox sites, there is just one entry showing - the profile link. There is nothing listed for the blog post URL. I just checked the list again, and while there have been more "verified" links added to the list, none of them are for these blog entries.

Are these URLs typically recorded by GSA SER at the same time that the profile URLs are recorded? Or are they found in a later verification process? If they are suppose to be found immediately, it does not look like that is working.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    edited September 2012
    #2) Tip to make your life easier. (in case you didn't know already) If you're wanting only contextual, article type links then you simply click right click in the platform selection window and choose "check all" then choose "uncheck engines that use no contextual links". This will select platforms that will give you a blog/article post.

#3) I've noticed that for some PHPfox it does grab both links and for others it doesn't. Not sure why that is but maybe its different code. (I'm just guessing)

I've got a lot of PHPfox that has the blog and profile link. You might want to let it run for longer and you'll probably start to see them.

Here's mine:

• s4nt0s...thanks for the tip! I did not know about that "contextual" option. I will probably try that. And your explanation about the PHPFox links explains the last (unanswered) part of this discussion I think.

Thanks for the help!
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    You're welcome. :)
  • Wow, have to say there's so much options I wasn't even aware of until I read this. Thanks very much to DavidA2, Ozz and s4nt0s!
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Yes thanks for all the people here taking care of my job to answer questions. More time for me to improve the program (and as VILLAIN veiled (?) saying to update the docu again). ;)
  • ronron SERLists.com

Brilliant tip Devin. Let's get a mini manual pinned to the top of this board where undiscussed tips like this are highlighted. And people could add to it.

Sven's running away from us, and we need to catch up!

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Erbsensuppe - please add the contextual links tip to the FAQ!
  • ronron SERLists.com
    That's funny. I just sent Devin a request to do just that, and pin the "Inofficial FAQ" to the top of the discussion board. Why that is not there I will never know.