Skip to content

Abuse/spam complaint while using proxies

Hi,

I've just received my first abuse/spam complaint from my provider and they're telling me I'm being reported for spamming websites and forums. However, I thought it was imposssible for my IP to leak while using private proxies from buyproxies.org. I've stopped submitting blog comments and forums on the server, but I'm still doing it on my other servers which are also using proxies from buyproxies.org.

I tried testing my proxies on the server in question, and it looks like 6 proxies are not working (after several tests), and one appears to be of the type "WEB" unlike all the other which are of the type "TRANS". Would anyone know if the "WEB" proxy could be the reason why my server IP was leaked?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Try testing that proxy against being anonymous or not.
  • Yeah I already did and they all came back as anonymous.

Actually I was using version 7.51 for a week or two and it seems it was during this time I received the complaints. Would you know if this older version had any trouble with leaking? Of course I'm back to using the most updated versions now, but I'd love to figure out what happened and avoid any trouble in the future.
    Just had a quick look in changelog and yes, alot issues in proxy handling are fixed since that version. Could indeed be a problem on that.
  • That probably explains why I didn't have any trouble on other servers.

I appreciate the help, I'll get back to pissing off webmasters now :)
  • Sven, I have had exactly this happen to me this week using 8.4.8. The service closed me down due to receving many complaints from Forums re spamming.

Can you throw any light on why??
    You must have configured things wrongly.
  • You identify from your normal IP.
    Then you post via proxy.
    Then you verify from your normal IP.

This is a footprint
    Maybe useragents / other things from GSA.
  • HI To confirm settings would be :

use proxies, with all the other boxes selected with private/public. i.e. 
    search engines
    submissions
    PR checker
    verification
    email 

all ticked to use proxies. Will this avoid the above problem? if not what are the recommended settings to avoid this?
  • I should add that I've never used proxies for identification nor verification, and my server IP was ONLY leaking while using 7.51. I'm now checking all my servers regularly, and I havn't seen a thing since updating all software.
  • Sven, can you provide your recommendations on the best way to configure proxies?
    Thansk
    Graham

Well using proxies for submissions is a must if you don't want to risk your identity.

For search engines its just good to speed things up (only if you have more than one proxy) and not getting banned so much.

For email verifications it's just good if you have problems on logins (e.g. pop3 server replies with some kind of error message that you should wait like 15 minutes between logins).

For PR it's good if you get banned or use the PR filter, else keep that unchecked.

It's also recommended to use proxies for verification as someone could easily see that the first person opens the verified url might be as well the one submitting it. So use proxies here if you are worried about it (what @randomusername said).

The User agent is natural and not changing for the site on all request. The whole header SER sends looks like from a real browser (including those headers not really required just to make it look more natural).

Skip proxies for identification is a risk but makes things faster. You have to decide.

• @sven thanks - all ticked :)
  • Sven , are you sure that wasn't something with the version 8.4.8 some of our users got spam reports on 24 May. Only the GSA users and only the ones with 8.4.8
  • I don't use buyproxies.org and I also got 1x abuse complaint on Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 22:18:59 +0200 and it was the first one I've gotten in at least the last year with proxy settings that have remained the same through-out. Not sure what GSA version I was on then as I do update fairly soon after updates become available. Given the pattern seen in this thread looks like it was software and not proxy service related though?
  • I also received a complaint from my ISP today.. They claimed my PC was hacked / I was running a bot-net. Hopefully it's fixed with the latest version.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @seoaddict - Try unchecking "Continuously post..." in Project Data. This setting caused me all sorts of issues with two server hosts. I finally figured it out, unchecked it, and my problems were instantly gone. They kept saying that I had an exorbitant amount of 'data packets' which sounds an awful lot like what you just said. So I think they assume it was a hack or a botnet, but it was SER repeatedly knocking on the door of the same websites. 
  • @ron I do not have that option checked
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @seoaddict - I would have bet money you did, glad I didn't bet, lol.

One thing that I found was very difficult to get out of these 'backrooms' is what exactly tripped their filters. It's like all of a sudden you get banned/stopped without any type of technical explanation. That's what really pisses me off. You should badger them until you get an exact answer. The best I was able to get was "an exorbitant number of data packets" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.
  • edited June 2014
    hmm i got some new abuse msg  for my direct server ip ..first this happend since a few versions before the "proxy handling" fix ...
    then all was fine for a few days (versions) until the last version i think ... today again abuse msg which shows my server ip and NOT using proxies...
    damn.. this is a real problem
    Im sure there is no bug left on this part. Though proof me wrong and send me details on the abuse complaibn.
  • Hi... recently I am getting these complaints as well. I am using public proxies and I have been using them since 1 year now with no issues.
    public proxies are in no way secure, especially if you take everythign and not just anonymous proxies.