Skip to content

My Private Proxy, worse experience with a proxy provider ever

I tried signing up for my private proxy for private proxies based on the feedback on this forum and other forums, and I honestly can't believe it, at least with their ordering/security department, I've never seen this level of incompetence in my life.

I ordered with a verified by visa credit card, from an ip that resolves within 5 miles of the location, the ip is not on any blacklists, and I used my cell phone number as well the email address from the company I own, which is an established domain from a web hosting, web design company. 

They provide me with the proxies, I ordered 20 as a test.   12 hours later they shut me off after I paid for the service, this was wh ile I was sleeping and GSA was running, which means those 300,000+ urls are all marked as bad now since they shut the proxies off, completely destroying my SEO campaign. 

I get this email from their incompetent staff

Dear Naomi Haffley,
We carefully evaluate new accounts to determine high risk orders. Please do not take it personally if you are asked to verify a new account, as you may have been selected randomly. Please send an email to support@myprivateproxy.net with a scanned copy of a photo ID such as a passport or driver's license. In addition to your photo ID, please include a scanned copy of the credit card that was used in your account purchase. You may censor all but the last 4 digits of the credit card number for your protection, but please ensure the name and expiration date are legible.
Please provide us with the above requested information at your earliest convenience to ensure that your account with MyPrivateProxy.NET is setup as soon as possible. We are available 24/7, so please feel free to contact us at any time. We apologize for any inconveniences that may result from this process.

Sincerely,
Alex
MyPrivateProxy.net

This company is an absolute fraud if it thinks I'm sending them my drivers license and credit card, be very careful when dealing with this company.  I didn't have to do this when ordering proxies from their competitors, and I didn't have to do this when buying various GSA Products.  

Comments

• Wow.... 

Wonder how many people fall for that and end up with identy theft.
  • Host gator wanted something similar from me. A copy of my passport, no less. They refunded.
  • xeroxiasxeroxias United States
    edited October 2014
    LOL

what a looser company! next thing you know they will ask for your SSN! Finger Print!

there private proxy is NOT so private proxy!
  • Definitely not the way to do business, many more options available however. Best of luck with your next provider!
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Ler me jump in here with that passport copy thing. This hapens for some of our customers as well. As we sell products over a payment provider (avangate.com) to let them handle taxes, payment processing and license things, we have to accept there rules.

One of there rules is to request further details of a persons address or they do a verification by other things. This is of course very annoying but helps to prevent scam and fraudulent activities. In some situations you just can't trust a suspicious order coming from an IP not located in the country of the order address.

We at GSA are of course not seeing this and Im sure avangate is not interested in your data as well.

I could imagine that the proxy system has similar issues.

• I have found out what happened, my biggest problem is that they gave me the proxies an then shut them off 6 hours later, their system should be configured to not assign proxies if something like what happened happened but it was a system mistake.

When I use GSA as I mentioned before I double protect my IP, I use a VPN and then I also use proxies ontop of it.   I initially created an account while behind the VPN, but when making orders I will always switch to one that's outside the firewall and on my comcast internet cable home ip (Like the post I'm making now).   For some reason their script didn't update the correct IP, and when I ordered, it sent the VPN IP rather than the right IP, that obviously is going to raise a warning flag.

My problem is with what happened next, the order still went through, and I didn't hear of any problems.   I was running a campaign that I have run millions of URLs' through, I scrape backlinks for external links and throw them into this campaign which tries to post, this is how you find target URL's.  This project was running for months, I just loaded almost 1,000,000 URL's into it that I scraped which took me a while, I was building it up over time.   They provided the proxies and then shut them off after I went to sleep and requested what was in my original post, when I woke up, the entire campaign failed because all the URL's passed through the system and are dead.   I can't do it again and rerun them, I only put a URL through 1 time so if the same URL comes up in a further scrape, it'll say already parsed.  What happened here ruined 3 - 4 months worth of hard work, and that's what has me livid about it.  

I talked to them finally and they never saw it happen before, my guess is that their server is using some form of a caching program, either file based or an Opcode PHP cacher like Xcache, it somehow cached my ip and didn't update it when I signed in from a different computer.  

Mistakes happen, I'll give them that, but if you assume something is fraud and don't know for sure, why are you shutting peoples proxies off when you can see that they are being used.   Shouldn't you call them on the phone first?   I entered my cell phone number they could of contacted me before doing this...
  • Sven is right though a  lot of places are starting to do this, I always felt it's because places like Avant Gate can't come up with a good enough security system so they pass the burden of security onto the consumer by making them send in documents like that when they aren't sure.  
  • divdaldivdal USA
    edited February 2015
    Why would anybody buy proxies from myprivateproxy.net when everybody knows that you pay for dedicated private proxies and you get shared instead. They are committing FRAUD