Skip to content

Viruses

When I leave GSA running for some time my virus scanner picks up viruses from the websites it visits.
Is there anyway to avoid those type of sites?
Am I in danger of getting a virus from using GSA?
What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• marquisk2 Just disable antivirus GSA only parse text/html part you can safely turn off the antivirus i hope Sven can give more detailed answer on it

Regards
    Kelvin
  • Could you tell me where it is?  I'm having difficulties finding it.
  • marquisk2

We dont recommend you do that, Gsa ser also parse XML which is also used by malwares

You can get both malwarebytes or/and microsoft security essentials free on your vps/dedicated or pc and both are free no purchase is required.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well no, you can not get any Viruses/Trojans using SER alone. The program only parses file and never executes any script or code from websites. Parsing XML files can also not get you a virus.
  • Okay I must have been really tired when I read Spamvilla's answer.  I understand what he was saying now.  Sven thanks for the confirmation about this.

Here's an example of what Norton tells me during the time I run GSA.

Category: Intrusion Prevention
    Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description
    10/21/2014 1:17:53 PM,High,An intrusion attempt by 179.43.137.164 was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Facebook Fake Offer 20,No Action Required,No Action Required,"179.43.137.164, 3128",newbetakey.com/iron-desert-hack-tool/,"RICH-PC (192.168.1.1, 54969)",IP.ADDRESS,"TCP, Port 3128"
    Network traffic from <b>newbetakey.com/iron-desert-hack-tool/</b> matches the signature of a known attack.  The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME2\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\GSA SEARCH ENGINE RANKER\SEARCH_ENGINE_RANKER.EXE.  To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the <b>Actions</b> panel, click <b>Stop Notifying Me</b>. 

• marquisk2  let me explain you bit more many websites has adwares and malwares and its completely true that if you browse them via regular browser without antivirus you can get infected easily but socket based bots only parse html/text part they dont act like real webbrowser which execute those scripts in client end,  so its safe norton (i use est my self ) infact all antivirus now days maintain database of these kind of websites and warn/block those urls bcoz of this norton warning you you can safely turn off web safety part of it and you are good to go ;)

Regards
    Kelvin
  • Thanks!  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my computer at risk.