Skip to content

Hosting several money sites on same server , good idea ?

Hey guys , 

I was just interested in your opinion on this, many people say that it is good idea to have different Hosts (or at least servers) for each money site to lower footprint , but some say it does not really matter if you host 10 sites on shared hosting among 100 or 1000 more.

What do you think about this ? 

Is it better to get a good VPS with dedicated IP's for each site , or get a shared hosting for each money site.

Thanks!

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2014
    Personally I use the same shared hosting for money sites and never had an issue. 

There isn't a footprint issue because we are not talking about PBN's - which is an entirely different topic.

Google doesn't care that you own a bunch of websites. Most people do. And for those that do, most probably use shared hosting. No big deal, right? What Google cares about is backlinking that violates their terms of service, and it is from that angle that Google looks at footprints.

That said, if you are doing crazy things with backlinking, and Google sees other footprints, I'm sure the fact that you have other sites on the same IP might make it easier for them to confirm it is the same guy (you). But they aren't going to take an axe to that IP. After all, there are1000 other sites on that same IP - and none of them have anything to do with you.

Lastly, if each moneysite is making decent money (in other words, they stand on their own two feet with cash flow), I would probably want a separate quality host for each one to minimize business risk (I have had all my sites on HostGator crash, and have since left them). So there are intelligent business reasons to diversify.
  • +2 @ron

I also am moving sites off Hostgator.  Got hacked from an old template and all my sites were down for 4 days.  They rarely even answered the ticket.  Made me think twice.  I had backups but if you can't get support to even answer that kind of stuff, it's not place to run a business.

Current trend is to use multiple hosts to avoid a footprint.  I think the crowd is wrong (like they are with stocks, economic predictions, etc).  Ron has such a strong point it's really hard to argue.  I believe when sites are all on the same host, Google has other things to go on to ban a set of sites and not an IP range for exactly what he's saying.

You can lookup your hosts IP and see the other sites on the shared plan.

Sometimes there's over 100 other sites!  No way Google will ban the IP and screw everything unless they manually look at what they think is a collection of sites owned by a single entity and ban or penalize based on other criteria than a shared host.
  • 1linklist1linklist FREE TRIAL Linklists - VPM of 150+ - http://1linklist.com
    edited October 2014
    Personally, I've seen cases (Multiple times) where only 1-site per niche will rank on a given hosting account. Separate niches? Never an issue. But try to rank, say 2 sites in the payday niche, and only one is going to rank. There were no other associations between the sites (Different links, ages, etc.). The only thing they shared was an IP.

Ron makes valid points, but at least when I ran my own tests (6 months or so ago), those were the results I got.

Given an IP is like $2 a month however, and a money-site is by nature making money, it rather makes sense to just plop down the extra $2.

Full-PBN level obfuscation/Seperate Ip ranges etc, dont seem to be necessary. So Rons right in that regard.
  • Can anybody recommend a good shared hosting company? apparently one of my sites is drawing alot of traffic (not making a penny), and is using up CPU so they've disabled it, i can't afford the package they recommend so i need a new company.

thanks
  • Thanks for replies guys , great info !

I am currently with hostwinds , they have a good shared plan , i host 3-4 sites per shared package , and i am planning to move them to VPS if they start getting some decent traffic , i hope that's good solution

Ron has a good point about shared hosting , and i had many sites on same server before , just thinking ahead this time and wanted to ask for your thoughts.
  • easypeasyeasypeasy easypeasy.rocks

you should definitely try to host on different hosts. especially when you are using your blog network to promote your sites. it's a major footprint if all outgoing links are going to the same host. even if there are maybe thousands of other sites on that host, it's still a BIG footprint.

when you are targeting the same keywords with your sites you will get shitty/strange results when you are hosting all your sites on the same host/ip.

most affiliate sites are a violation of google's tos on its own. so hosting all your stuff with the same host will just make it easier for google to take it down.

• bestimtoolzbestimtoolz High PR WEB 2.0 posting service - affordable !
    Hostgator is good till you not get in trouble, once it happens they brings you down you without any notice and say - get lost ...

But if everything is ok their support is excellent, they solve any problem within a minutes via chat.

Have you tried solidseo as a hosting platform ? I am using their VPS for hosting some of my sites, and all I can say they are really good and never had any problems with them.

You may try also the OVH but they have unmanaged solutions so if you are not experienced with Linux - rather stay away from them cos you should do a lot of tweaks before everything will works as you want, but they are budget solution to consider, and quite fast as well.
  • So far i am with hostwinds for about 8 months , and with HG for 2 years , and HW beats it in every aspect for less $. I have not tried other hosts but i am looking at BlueAngelhost as a next one , anyone tried them ?

The other thing i am looking into is taking VPS + cpanel , which would cost about 50$ for 10 sites (with different IP for each site). What do you think about that

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited October 2014
    A lot of people think they don't have footprints, even some of the black hat 'pros'. But they more often than not do. Here's a few of the things I do - and remember Google 'probably' does have access to our current + historical WHOIS data as they are a registrar (how easy is it for them to now look for duplicate email addresses registered to 20 different websites in the same niche?! very easy... they can probably automate it!), but this might help someone anyway in masking their website's ownership if you are paranoid like me... 

1. Check for other FQDNs using the same SSL hostname (if you use Cloudflare, AWS or have SSL installed): https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html
    2. Reverse lookup Adsense, Clickbank or Adwords ID , i.e. a shared account: http://sameid.net/
    3. http://who.is Domain History - free domain history for the life of the domain, kind of like archive.org for domain ownership
    4. Check the Terms and Conditions to look for a company name. Quite often this is the only place they'll list it. If you're in the UK then head over to www.companycheck.co.uk and see where they live :) I'm joking, then you can use their first+last name in various free WHOIS tools to see what domains they own/have owned when they haven't used domain privacy.

Maybe 75% of the time I can find out the 'real' ownership using this alone.  There are a few others too but maybe I'll share them later.
  • If your money sites are in the same niche and getting links from the same sources then I would opt for having them hosted on different providers.