Skip to content

Constant 'Out of memory' pop-up

I need some advice on how to get rid of this irritating 'Out of memory' pop-up that constantly pop up whenever I am running my projects. I've attached an image below to show the resource monitor having more than 1 gig of memory but GSA Ser is saying out of memory. This happened for more than 1 month plus now. How can I solve this issue?

Comments

• Try running the scheduler in order to reduce the number of simultaneous active projects. If you're already doing that, select all projects, modify project --> delete unused accounts and restart SER. That should bring the memory usage down.
  • Hi @delta_squad,

1. where do I do this scheduler thing? I am running 500 threads, so does the scheduler actually help with this? I do want to keep the thread count as high as possible to get maximum links building possible.

2. when you say modify project to delete unused accounts, what accounts is this deleting? Why are there unused accounts in the first place?
  • 1. To start the scheduler click on the small arrow next to the Start button, you'll see a menu where it says 'Use scheduler on all active' or something like that. In the window that pops up choose how many active projects you want and how often it should alternate between them. Try 20 active for 20 minutes. I'm actually able to run 55 active for 30 min on 1000 threads but it might be different for you.

2. I'm not completely sure why dead accounts accumulate but they do and it makes your project files larger in size which consumes more RAM. It's completely safe to delete them - I do it maybe once a week.
  • Thanks @delta_squad, I'll give it a try.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks delta_squad, that worked perfectly!

I think is time for GSA SER to be a 64-bit program!

• @delta_squad, just want to thank you for your help. What you've suggested helped with my GSA, and it is running very smoothly now. Do you have any other things that you do to constantly keep your GSA ser running at full throttle? Any maintenance tips that you do on a regular basis?
  • Glad I could help. :) Another thing that keeps the amount of used RAM lower is, every time you stop your projects for some reason it's good to restart SER. 

The other things I do aren't related to RAM usage but it's good practice anyway. I remove duplicate domains and duplicate URLs from my site lists every day. I think some people don't remove duplicate domains for blog comments, trackbacks and the like but I don't bother since I'm not building lots of them anyway. 

• Thanks @delta_squad, really thankful for you taking the time to help me on this matter.
  • It`s strange cos since some time I never get this error appears again ,earlier once I set more than 300 threars it appeared very fast but after one of the recent updates I can set even 700 threads and it doesn`t happen anymore, thanks Sven (:
  • The out-of-memory error is coming back again after awhile. I did everything that was suggested and it worked for awhile, but now the error is back.

What can I do to solve this? @sven, do you have any suggestions?
  • WOW!!
    Thanks a lot @delta_squad , even if it's an old post.
    I just deleted the unused account (over 2 millions! :-O So around 90% of the total, now are left about 200,000 live) and now SER is running like a monster!
    I changed from maximum 200 threads of before, and with maximum 15-20 projects active, to 800 threads, with more than 40 active projects!

Really good news this one, for me the news of the week!
    :D
  • Thanks. Just deleted the dead accounts and my memory usage cut in half.

One word about too many threads. I notice if I have too many threads that I start getting errors from my proxy servers, so keep an eye out. If you want to run tons of threads, you might need more proxy servers.
  • How do I remove duplicate domains and duplicate URLs from my site lists every day?