Skip to content

rough draft report on local ser... please correct me

I'm writing a report for my boss to try to convince him to give me money to set up GSA ser. I've been planning this for a good week now of solid research. So this is the report I have thus far- any criticism is welcome with open arms.

Report on Effective Online Advertising Campaigns

Index
Why choose internet promotion?
Theory
Case Study
Method of campaign
Outcome measurement

Why Choose Internet Promotion?

There are many reasons to consider internet promotion. Firstly, unlike other forms of promotion, an effective online campaign will give lasting results that only improve with time. When people see a website ranked highly on google for a certain search term, they intrinsically believe that the website offers more value than lower ranked websites. Over time, as they continue to see the website ranked highly for that search term, they trust that the company must be continuing to provide a good and reputable service.
According to a very reputable authority on online advertising, Moz Local, “4 billion desktop queries per month in the United States alone have local intent . 50%+ of mobile queries have local intent. Roughly 15-20% of all searches are mobile .” When considering the search term “taxi near me,” for example, the local intent is way more than 50%. More likely it is closer to 100%. This means that there is a huge potential market of people searching for us on their smart phones.

Theory

Keywords:

Web 2.0 sites:
from wikipedia: A Web 2.0 site may allow users to interact and collaborate with each other in a social media dialogue as creators of user-generated content in a virtual community, in contrast to Web sites where people are limited to the passive viewing of content. Examples of Web 2.0 include social networking sites, blogs, wikis, folksonomies, video sharing sites, hosted services, Web applications, and mashups.

Citations:
from seomark: A citation is an online reference to your business’s Name, Address and Phone number (NAP). Like links to your website, Google uses them when evaluating the online authority of your business. Unlike links though, citations don’t need to be linked to your business’s website in order for you to be credited for them. So, having your NAP listed in plain text is fine.

In the local search arena there are multiple ways to show up in the top ranking positions. For any general search term, provided a local context, is much easier to rank highly than it is in a global context. For example, to rank highly for the search term “Nike shoes” would be almost impossible with a small budget. Though, with the search term, “Where to buy nike shoes near me?” it would be much easier to rank highly on google. This is due to google’s algorithms having global and local contexts.
To achieve local context within google’s algorithms a few things must be provided. These include a business name, address and phone number as previously mentioned. Once there is consistency within the NAP, Citations can be released on to various directory sites. These sites include: yellowpages.com, a google+ business page, Yelp, facebook, etc. The best citations for local ranking usually come from Web 2.0 Sites because search engines can more easily judge whether the local business is popular directly from user interaction.
Once citations exist, now comes the crucial element: interaction. Most organically, high ranking businesses are socially engaging on their Web 2.0 sites- they post to twitter, google+, facebook and communicate directly with their clients. In fact, google likes this interaction so much that they give ranking boosts to local businesses who, algorithmically, seem to have good social standing on their Web 2.0 sites. This is where the system can be manipulated, I’ll talk more about this in the “Method of Campaign” section.

I did not include the case study/method/outcome measuring tool because it is specific to my area/niche.. but please critique this any way you want. I wrote it to explain to a (mostly) computer illiterate man how google does rankings for local businesses. If there is anything unclear, point that out please.

Comments