Skip to content

When editing multiple projects at once, do all settings get overwritten? This needs to be clearer.

varthdavervarthdaver Sydney, Australia
If I select multiple projects, then right click, choose "Modify Project" then choose either "Edit" or "Edit Only Engines/Options"...

If I change just one or two settings, will all the other settings be overwritten too?

It would help if the tickboxes for settings where some projects differ were greyed out.

If a box is unticked, but it may be ticked on some of the projects, then I assume I have to tick and then untick it to be sure it registers.

But my biggest fear is that by using this feature, I've just gone and zapped all my custom settings on all my projects.

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited April 2014
    @varthdaver - I never use it. I inevitably zap all my projects and all sorts of things change. That's why I am writing (at this exact moment) a tutorial on editing multiple projects at once using Notepad++. It will be available to all subscribers and customers in a couple of days on serlists.com. In the meantime, if you don't know how to do what I am saying, I strongly advise you to do them individually.
  • varthdavervarthdaver Sydney, Australia
    Totally agree with you, Ron.

I am now a devout .prj file editor.  Though Notepad++ doesn't handle multiple big files as easily as EditPad, so despite being thoroughly in love with Notepad++, I use EditPad on the VPS.  Same same, just faster.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I seem to be on your trail tonight @varthdaver - you are digging up all of these older threads, lol. Yeah, Notepad++ or any other type of good text editor like you mentioned is worth its weight in gold.

I will have to check out EditPad. What makes it better than Notepad++?

i believe it doesn't need to hold the whole file in memory like NPP does.  it just seeks to the section you need. 
    @sven I'd still like to see this original question clarified.  Of course we can edit the .prj files directly but it would be better to disable multi-edit altogether in the app, or at least add a pop-up warning to explain the scope of what may get overwritten, if it's as dangerous as @ron and I have seen.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Actually there is a warning popup already!?
    Oh, ok!  That'll have to do then!