Skip to content

'You use too many threads' change

Hi @Sven firstly I know that this message is a warning and has good intentions BUT it's really irritating that regardless of if you click yes, no or X in the corner it just doesn't do anything, just keeps this message reappearing 5s later and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the VPS or close SER completely.

I have seen my LpM continue at over 100 with this message there, of course I cannot edit anything and can't get rid of the popup but perhaps you can consider making the X function completely close and lock this from appearing for say another 1 hour? Or something like that?

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    +1 to that, i get the same weird loop.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    No I can't because it's a critical error. When this happens something went wrong already and it's not a good idea to ignore it.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @sven - I understand what you are saying, but even when you correct the problem (lower threads or stop SER), the message just repeats in a loop. The only way to remove it is to force SER to close in task manager.

Is there no way to prevent this really?
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    From my understanding, that message appears for each project that threw the error. I've had it where I only get one popup or several.

If i'm right about each project throwing the error, maybe in the message we could get the name of the project that threw the error so we can compare that project to other ones running, and also know if it's always the same project that's having problems. This might help @Sven out a little if we could do a little debugging ourselves.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    @Sven yes I understand something went wrong but clearly in some occasions SER continues to run fine with well over 100LpM for me with this message still there, so either it has fixed itself or it's not completely accurate.

Let me explain a bit more. When you get this error some function tried to allocate a certain size of memory. This however failed (usually happens when a page is downloaded that is very big) and the thread where this happened simply dies. Everything that has to be done after that memory allocation was not done and then it's in an unknown state. More and more memory is wasted as it is not freed because this thread and his other allocations can not be freed. Not much you can do about it.

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Hi @Sven Thanks yes I understand the intentional use, I'm not saying it should be removed completely. What I'm trying to say is, that the 'Yes' 'No' and 'X' in the popup dialog do nothing. The popup just comes back immediately so we can't stop projects/change threads without restarting.

If that is intentional then you may as well do away with the X in the corner and the 'Yes' option because they don't do anything. :P
    hmm ok will try to change some things here, but you will always get into trouble with this.
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    @spunko2010 The multiple popups happen for each error. So if there were 5 threads/projects that threw that error, you will get 5 popups.

I did mention in my post above for extra information like what project caused the error etc. Not sure if @Sven would be able to give more information about the error to us or not. I think it might help up to debug some of these errors ourselves so we can maybe change or fix something with the project.