Skip to content

.co.cc domains

edited November 2012 in Need Help
Just information for those whom are not aware but are making use of the wonderful .co.cc domains....I am afraid to report they have shut the operation down meaning none of your catchall domains will function if hosted on a co.cc domain. A right pain the a*se if you ask me! Anyhow, I will be looking into alternatives and will report back if I find some more suitable candidates :)

Remember, if your using these they won't work so swap them out.....

Comments

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What a pain! After that lovely thread about catchalls...purchased them, set them up, took ages for all 30 or so sites...

Now to do it again...
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks for the share...I wouldn't have tested it for another few days!
  •  @globalGoogler - tell me about it! there is some significant work gone down the toilet here also :(
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Any idea when it went down?
  • 12th I think....
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I saw something around the time...tried to visit site, but figured their site was just down. 

Oh well...tomorrow I will need to search for a solution...a catchall is just so much better than all the hotmail accounts! I can't even use my website for a catchall as use Google gears, and then the cronjob doesn't work. 
  • I am away from computer at mo but there was a Czech site maybe .cz that I have accounts with that operated the same way. I need to check that one as well as ur recommendations :)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Must say this looks the best...
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Ignore the last one..

These are the 3 I'm considering:

Will see tomorrow which is the best...all my projects are on hold until I solve this though!

• Thanks for the recs, I will look into them :)
  • Sigh, that's 50 or so blogs up in smoke... Fun while it lasted though ;)
  • @globalgoogler - a heads up on that .tk domain...

But if you pay, you get a lot more! When you pay you own the domain
    legally, you may sell or transfer your domain and you do not have the
    minimum user requirement of 25 hits per 90 days. Pricing starts at just
    EUR 6.95 per year. It's all up to you!

.CZ has also been removed so its still a searching game at the moment :(
  • @globalgoogler - the .tk domains are working nicely :) get em while its good :)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I have been so busy with my sites to today, setting up all the various backups and optimises...

Did you try any of the others or only the .tk's? 
  • The others were just single purchase domains. It seems that . tk is the only free mass tld left!
  • I don't quite understand the dot tk thing. it says you have to have 25 hits in 90 days if you go the free route. I assume this is because of their traffic tracking in the dns they do. Not sure how this works if you are just using it for email as there won't even be a website up.

I'm not saying it can't work, I just don't fully understand it.
  • @theorbital since you need to set up the domain (add on in my case) to accommodate the domain name a holding default page is displayed. This can record 'hits' and therefore can be seen by the registra. I plan to create a little app that I will schedule to run once per month to knock out the hits required and thus keeping he domains alive ;)
  • what is the CHEAPEST way to host this domains ?

namecheap.com has .com @ $10 per year.

What not just pay $10 annually instead of using free domains ?

Aside from the minimal savings, Am I missing something here.
  • @sootedninjas I use 40-50 of these and the prohibitive cost that would entail to have this amount makes them attractive. You need a good number of them to stay under the radar and avoid complaints - spreading the risk if you like :)
  • @takeachance

good golly. how many projects are you running to use 40 to 50 ?

How do you host those 50 domains ? Which provider if you don't mind me asking and what kind of monthly cost ?

do you used shared hosting for those domains ?
  • I have other programmes that also use them not just SER so I need plenty. I spread the hosting across 5 servers all different of course :) hostgator is one of them and works nicely (and yes it's shared :) ).
  • ok. shared hosting so it is doable having that many domains.

Have not done it before but shared hosting allows multiple domain on 1 shared host account. Right ?

My money site is with a provider that has a Shared Hosting Plan that will allow up to 100 domains. It's like $1.95 monthly. seems reasonable to me. Don't you think so ?

I believe my money site is in a Shared Hosting Plan that allows up to 10 domains BUT it might NOT be a good idea to have the CATCHALL domains sharing hosting plan with my money site.

What do you think ? It might NOT matter but I think "separation" could be a better strategy in this case.

Regards.....
  • Yes shared hosting is fine. Typically you have the option of adding 'addon' domains in cpanel. Having them on the same server should be fine also but I tend to split them up for security purposes. Just remember that in most cases you have to ask the hosting company to 'turn on' the catchall facility as it tends to be off by default.

The best and easiest way to do this I find is doing a live chat with them (most do this) and you can get them to turn it on from there.
  • "Just remember that in most cases you have to ask the hosting company to
    'turn on' the catchall facility as it tends to be off by default."

I look at the cPanel and the option is actually available.

"Having them on the same server should be fine also but I tend to split them up for security purposes."

How about on the same Shared Hosting Account WITH the money site ?

Thanks for the assitance.
  • I have a number of them on the same server as money sites so yea it should be fine, just keep the numbers down on ms servers just to be safe. If you have the facility already then great, just test it first before you start and your good to go.
  • thanks you sir.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I need 35 of these of domains...guess what I'm going to be doing for the next while... :(  Just did the catchalls with the .co.cc domains...at least I'm efficient now. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven - I have multiple projects using the same catchall. Since I have to update all the info anyway with .co.cc going down, I'd like to know can I use the spinfile macro in the password, login, and pop. This way, if this happens in future, I just update 1 txt file and it will pull through all details to all the projects. 
  • @Sven
    - I have multiple projects using the same catchall. Since I have to
    update all the info anyway with .co.cc going down, I'd like to know can I
    use the spinfile macro in the password, login, and pop. This way, if
    this happens in future, I just update 1 txt file and it will pull
    through all details to all the projects.

@GlobalGoogler , Did it work for you ? Can you give an example how to use the spinfile macro in these fields? . I need the answer too. changing the emails in all the projects is a pain in the neck. Any feedback will be appreciated.