Skip to content

If you ran SER for a while on a VPS, read this!

HinkysHinkys SEOSpartans.com - Catchalls for SER - 30 Day Free Trial
edited March 2014 in Need Help
So here's my very real and very frustrating, borderline depression inducing problem. It can be summed up in 2 pictures.

This is what my stats USED to look like, just after getting a brand new 4-core, 3gb ram PowerUpHosting SSD VPS:

And this is what they look like now, 3-4 months later:

See the problem? 

This also happened to me on my last VPS. The solution back then, after spending days tweaking stuff, unchecking every box I could think off in a hope to bring down the CPU load, was to get a new VPS. And yes, I talked to Sven about it. He tried to help over teamspeak, turned off some filters but whatever he did didn't help that much. Only a new VPS helped (the one I'm using now).

So on this current VPS, the slugishness has been going on for a while. Never bothered with it too much because I'd get really depressed if I did. I knew how trying to fix this problem would end. And SER still managed to create as many links as was needed so it was more or less ok. But today when I created a new project to test out something, I snapped. The VPS got so laggy it was unusable and LPM was barely 11 after 15min of running.

Then I went in a "fixing" spree.

I tried deleting larger projects, running different combinations of projects, deleting every project except one, turning off every possible URL / word filter, swaping out proxies, cleaning up projects & site lists, cleaning up files on the VPS to make sure that SSD had room to breathe (it has 12/30 GB free) and eventually deleting EVERYTHING SER & CB related and reinstaling both. 

Nothing helped. 

As soon as I started a single project on more than 80-90 threads, CPU climbed up to 100% and more or less stayed there. Tried running in 4 different versions (7.99.8.00,8.01 and an older one, something like 7.60) but nothing changed.

In fact, NOTHING major has changed on that VPS or in the way I used SER in these last 3-4 months. 

So my question to you guys who've been running SER on a VPS for a while is...have you noticed anything like this happen? Is this something to be expected? Like you buy a VPS and the dedi it's running on is in good shape with few users but over time they put more and more users on that dedi which results in it's resources being hit too hard? 
Or maybe they oversell those resources? (even tho they specifically say they don't do that)

I'm at a stage where "conspiracy" theories like these seem like a perfectly good explanation because NOTHING else seems to help. 

Anyways, sorry for the long post, it was part rant, part a cry for help. If any1 experienced something similar or if you have an idea why this is happening, PLEASE share and save me from this impossible problem hell. :(

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    Are you running the latest version 8.02? That's been causing CPU problems and freezing for me. 8.01 fixes that.
  • Same problems for me... I spent almost one hour starting, stopping, restarting the VPS... and now it's 2 am...
    I-)
  • could be possible your provider is overselling. which provider are you with? check your connection speed. what do you get from speedtest?
  • edited March 2014

Yeah, I have something like that, except that I use my pesonal PC and not a VPS.

Mine experience is as follows:

At around 7.95+ I noticed that my SER won't have Out of Memory any more (earlier it was a nasty problem with SER giving OOM at around 450 MB of used RAM), but at the same time CPU [i5 3570K, 4 cores, 3.4Ghz] usage on some of the projects skyrocketed.

I tried to analyze here and there and it seems that my, well, "bomber projects" have a very hard time loading my CPU up to 100, resulting in staggering of the whole system. Maybe I delude myself and this is as it should, but...

As long as I launch for example one "bomber project" with engines Comment, Guestblog, Forum, Social Bookmark, Social Network, Microblog, this one is enought to almost bring down my CPU.

Now, I tried to make changes, one at a time, and the truth is, nothing from the list below helped: 

• No of proxies active.
    • Skip site URL/domain. 
    • Skip Outgoing links. 
    • Use urls linking on the same page.
    • Try to always place an URL with an anchor text 
    • Skip hard to solve capcha. 
    • Dont send to indexers 
    • Ask 1st service to fill capcha 
    • Use URLs from global SLs 
    • Disable use proxies for pr checking 

Mine bet is that something happened with the engines or posting processes or whatever. But you say you used 7.60...

@Hinkys, I suggest that we take one project and launch it on our machines in pristine conditions and compare CPU load.

It needs to have same settings, targets, etc all right, but at least it will help to understand if we have the same problem.

I can prepare backup of one cpu-hungry project and targets and settings later this day. Let me know what you think.

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

just a side note on the op..."He tried to help over teamspeak" << not true as I haven't used that program for like 10 years as I only used it playing CS (no not that outdated captcha software) ;)

Anyway yes 8.02 had a bug...8.03 should work better. I try to improve things on every version. For some it works better than on other systems. I even use profilers from time to time to find slow functions and work on that. But recently I haven't found a big bottleneck to be honest.

• Yea, I have the same problem. I bought SolidSeoVPS and at first it was fast and everything. Now, after 2-3 months it is so slow that it takes me minutes for it to open a browser window. I asked about the support yesterday about it and they took a look, when I logged in it was faster again but today.. it's already back to the crawling slowness. I have no idea what causes it, most probably the VPS provides is just overselling.
  • I would expect a VPS to get progressively slower each time everything is partitioned to more users.
  • HinkysHinkys SEOSpartans.com - Catchalls for SER - 30 Day Free Trial
    Brandon 
    Nop, just updated to 8.05 and ran it, seeing the same thing as before.

I'm with PowerUpHosting

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing with "bomber" projects. One of them is enough to 100% the CPU on 100 threads (sometimes even as low as 70-80). Nothing seems to help.

As far as doing some testing, yeah sure, hit me up in PM.

Lol, fml, I meant teamviewer, not teamspeak. xD That's the lapsus I get for raiding with that thing back in the day. :D 
    And I can't comment on any potential problems of most recent versions as everything is slow no matter the version. But it's hardly your fault, it's probably just time to get a dedi. :D

Yeah I'd imagine but it seems like a world of difference. 
  • Instead of buying new VPS, a full reinstall of the windows OS would have same effect i suppose, just like you do with your own PC once it gets bugged and slow, you reinstall the windows, you don't buy new PC, unless you are running MAC :P .
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2014

^^I just had some issues with a very sluggish SER and/or VPS last week. I wasn't sure which one it was, but I saw other people going on and on about how fast their SER had gotten, so I started to suspect the VPS. I wasn't sure because I really left SER alone for the past couple of months - so I really didn't change anything.

Anyway, I backed up my projects, did a complete uninstall of SER, removed all leftover orphan files from the two primary directories, and then reinstalled it straight from the GSA website. It was like night and day. I have my old SER back to normal and rocking.

What @dariobl said above is very good advice. Just do it and see what happens. Also use this occasion to go into each project and just review everything. I found a lot of new engines were added by Sven, so I needed to update my projects anyway. I am honestly glad all of this happened. I also found some a few bad settings which is bound to happen when you have nearly 200 projects going. Basically, review everything. Use this as a chance to regroup, tighten up the ship, and get off to a new clean start.

p.s. And get rid of the old emails and stick in new ones! You will create a ton of new links that way.

• Interesting and something I have noticed. In my case, no matter what the CPU resource meter said, running less threads made a massive difference. For some reason when I would run higher threads, at a certain threshold, it would kill the VPS RDP performance and general system performance. Even when I would stop SER it would take some time after the CPU had dropped to 0 to really start to function well again.

I moved from Powerup mechanical disk -> Solid mechanical -> Solid SSD. PU was miserable until the end when I uninstalled everything and rebooted - then it was passable. On Solid mechanical I could overload it and induce the poor performance you see but not as bad as PU at all. Rebooting, lowering threads could fix it. On SSD i have not tried to overload it. I'm running 100 or 150 threads on 2 cores, 2GB, 60+ LPM on limited number of projects - RDP and opening other application is fast.

I have no idea if my analysis is correct or not but all I can say is that increasing threads kills the performance and lpm does not increase. Do you see the performance problem linger after you stop SER for a time like I do? Can you try 150 threads just to see what happens?
  • I have this with a 3 month old dedicated server, so no overselling as with a VPS, but I'll try what @ron has done and see if it works. What is the reason for it, though? I clean my lists, remove dupes, tidy up, optimise the engines/filters/settings all of the time and yet performance seems to drop after 6 weeks or so. I backed up some projects and moved them to a new server and instantly got 10x LPM, so it could just be the first server is clogged up with too many projects BUT I run on the scheduler so it shouldn't make any difference....but it does...
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    edited March 2014
    I think it's maybe because projects hold more and more data as time goes on. You can clean this up duplicating the projects and starting over, or by deleting certain files in the "projects" folder.

But you do that at your own risk, I'm sure Sven won't like me telling people to do that so i'll say no more :)
  • I did what @ron said over a month ago with the same VPS. Just backed up - removed - reinstalled. And SER since then runs rock solid.
  • I had the same problem earlier this week/late last week.

I did not change provider - what I did was restart my VPS - (no problems then, but it was hella tough just to get it to restart - took me like 30 min. LOL) after it restarted it was fine, but the second I started GSA again the sluggish problem started again so I spent another 20 min trying to close GSA and be able to restart my VPS again.

After the 2nd restart there was an updated version of GSA, I pressed to have it updated - GSA got updated and it reset all of the stats etc. pressed start and it was working like a dream.

So my suggestion to @Sven is to create a option button to re-set GSA fully like how it gets reset after each update where all the data of your project is saved, but everything else is reset (please note that even with the reset all of the settings/options for each project are saved).

Just my 2 cents.