Skip to content

Semi-dedicated or dedicated proxies? What do you think?

edited March 2014 in Need Help
First of all thank you @Sven for adding the proxy IP to the download failed and url resolve failed messages. It makes it possible to compare the performance of proxies. As you said in another thread not all of the error messages are caused by the proxies and some of them may not be, and even if the messages are not a direct sign of performance they are at least a halfway decent indicator of proxy performance. (one of the few we have in fact)

After the gmail dottrick vs hotmail test I wanted to compare semi-dedicated proxies with dedicated proxies, so I set up a 6 hour log to see how many "download failed" and "url resolve failed" messages I would get and if there was any difference between semi-ded and dedicated proxies.

The setup:
---
19 proxies - 14 semi-dedicated, 5 dedicated
150 threads
180 timeout
120 Mb/s connection

---

The result:
--
Test Run Started: yyyymmdd,hh:mm - 20140319,00:05
Test Run Finished: yyyymmdd,hh:mm -20140319,05:59
--
total events in log: 153289
download failed events in log: 10820
url resolve failed events in log: 1037
--
14 semi-dedicated proxies failed 8252 times
which means an average of 589 fails in a timespan of 6 hours average per proxy (see details here

5 dedicated proxies failed 1410 times in a timepan of 6 hours
which means an average of 282 fails per proxy in a timespan of 6 hours

Conclusion: Semi-dedicated proxies are involved in twice as many error messages per proxy as dedicated proxies. It seems like there is a difference between semi and dedicated proxies after all. Also the number of proxy fail messages with IP does not match the number of fail events - so this is something to look into, but will take more time.

What do you think? Is it worth getting dedicated proxies? Why? why not?

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    This is a great test, i never expected fully private to be THAT much better!

@ferryman: Were you using only imported lists or scraping with SER too?
  • Great test, will really help a lot of people. Thanks for that.

Which provider did you use? I have seen buyproxies works best and hopefully this was with them :)

• @gooner - only an imported list. currently trying to seperate that (with not much luck I might add)

@nitinsy - semi-dedicated = buyproxy, dedicated = diy (i.e. bought server, installed proxy software)
  • edited March 2014
    @Ferryman, wouldn't it be costly to set up multiple dedicated proxies in this way? If you don't sharing the numbers would like to know how much it is costing you to set up these private proxies.
  • You get a vps and set up a proxy. It's not terribly expensive, but requires you to know about setting up a server. And then you're stuck with the same ip for the time you subscribed. You can find a vps for about $2 dollars or so a month these days.
  • ronron SERLists.com

+1 @Ferryman - I read some of your latest posts, and you have my respect brother. ^:)^

I would have never expected those type of results. A year ago it didn't seem to make a difference, but now it does. Hmmmm.

• yeah, I often test dedicated proxies against semi and a fewer number of dedicated always win.

I like to be able to look after my proxies too...  Nothing worse than someone burning your proxies and you can't do anything about it.

You might be running 20-30 connex per proxy then your stable mate goes at 200 connex.  Ruins you for sure... 
  • @ron - thanks :) Love your posts here, so trying to add value as well. About the proxies, maybe it is because people are massively trying to take the proxies to their limits. Generally I think 3 ppl on one proxy will make it fail more than if you abuse the proxy yourself - the relation is not linear it seems though.

@Brumnick - ya, control and peace of mind are very important aspects :)
  • edited May 2017
    Great Result of testing. Thanks for testing such nice data. I am using microleaves *link removed by mod* and i am also try as you did. <span>:no_mouth:</span>

• Ferryman 

nice test. may i know from where did you buy vps ? also arent they complaing about ip abuse ? (vps provider) 

i think this wont be same if you use someones dedicated proxies...best bet it cause the quality of dedicated ips you made. 

i dont trust dedicated ips are real dedicated to one person