Skip to content

Removing SER and Cleaning VPS when moving to new service

edited March 2014 in Need Help
@sven

What is the best way to totally remove SER when moving VPS providers?  I have noticed before that when I get a new VPS, I can often load up software like Scrapebox and it is already registered to someone else, even though I want to install my own license key.  

I want to make sure I fully remove my SER license so the next user of the VPS can't use it!

For everyone else, how do you clean your VPS before you leave to ensure it has none of your data on it?

Comments

• delete concerned registry files , delete roaming folders uninstall ser and CB Or simply corrupt the windows by deleting system files . rendering it unusable :D
  • After deleting your data files and uninstalling SER and CB, I would reinstall SER and CB and made sure it says they are DEMO copy. That way I'm sure my license is removed from the system...
  • Thanks for the advice gents, I am glad I asked otherwise I would have missed removing the app data part.

Appreciated 
    :)>-
  • This idea that vps providers reissue your VPS is an annoyingly stubborn myth.

VPS providers just create a VM snapshot of a fresh install and then duplicate that snapshot for new customers. Expired VMs are deleted.

They do not reissue your vps to a new customer**, but badly designed licencing algorithms like those employed by Scrapebox cant distinguish between these virtual machines - they identify them all as the same machine.

No matter what you do to your vps - you could wipe it and install linux over the top - a new clients vps on the same server will appear to SB servers to be you, even though none of your data is present.

This does not happen with GSA products as they have a different licencing system.

**They theoretically could do this, but there is no reason to do so, creating a fresh vps from a snapshot takes seconds, where as reissuing a vps would lead to massive support headaches.
  • m3ownz

Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get pinged for double use of SER, if someone else was using my copy somehow.

Clearly I am not au fait with how these things work but I do appreciate you adding to my knowledge!

cheers dude  :\">
  • Ask the hosting company to reinstall the OS for you or do it by yourself if control panel have that option.
  • what i need to save?, i need to backup settings, backup projects and backup lists and thats it?
    when i backup projects all the target url will still be there and everything?
  • The Scrapebox thing is the fault of the license owner not moving their license to another computer, normally as they get charged $10 for doing more than once in a month. It's their own fault really.

@rodol I backed up all of my projects. Backed up all settings and saved a copy of my identified/submitted/verified (just in case). I do believe the target URLs will still be there as it's basically a snapshot zip file of the projects. If you saved then carried on submitting, there would be duplicates/already parsed messages once you started SER on your new VPS/server
  • thanks