Skip to content

What search engines do you use in GSA?

I hope @sven will make some system to identify what search engines are just wasting resources.

Can some of members share what Search Engines do you use inside GSA?

Comments

• Anyone ?
  • I use all English/UK ones.
  • So, you don't filter only those that support inurl as most of footprints use inurl 
  • Erm, no. Could you tell me which ones don't support inurl? I use Bing, Y, G, Ask, and whatever the other UK ones are.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited January 2014
    Never thought of that. Makes perfect sense.

@Sven how does SER handle this - search engines that aren't able to use the inurl and other search operators?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    It simply skips them. Things are confirured in the se.dat as well where you can specify what search engine supports what and in what syntax.
  • Thanks @miki definitely something to tweak.
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

Read the comments by the late great Ozz on this thread

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/comment/30966/#Comment_30966

He tells people how to set one engine, but have it randomly rotate the google engines it pulls results from

In an ideal world, you will only have one engine selected to reduce duplicate search results

But, with google, too many hits and the ip gets slapped

In the past I did some test results with about twenty different, then other did similar tests

The results were all about the same with a six place spread

• @sven can you add the possibility to pick more then one filter on SE selection, i will like to try english only + only engines that accept inurl.
  • hmm yip a auto select all which support inurl would be nice @Sven
  • @sven
    we need some STATS system for Search Engines that will show us what engines are wasting time and resources and what are find target sites that gave verified links.
    I know it is complicated task, but it will speed up GSA tool a lot.

you can select search engines that use extended syntax by popup menu.

@miki this is indeed hard to do. Sorry, but I don'T have a good idea to measure this.

• @sven
    What about this:

If each SE in list can have its unique number (unique id) - SE1, SE2, SE3...or whatever.

Then when find target URL and save it in file, we can write next to URL our ID of that search engine.
    And keep that ID always next to URL.
    Once links are verified, we can still have that ID next to URL, so we can calculate what SE are making the most of verified URLs.

I know this is bigger task, but it will give much much to this excellent tool.

No, this is not going to work because one result is found in many search engines. And you would cut out probably good engines because they delivered results later.