Skip to content

GSA SER & ESET Smart Security

I recently changed from using ESET NOD32 anti-virus to ESET Smart Security which is their security suite product that incorporates NOD32. Ever since I've changed the ESET scanning process ekrn.exe has high CPU usage and SER seems to take much more CPU resources to do the same tasks. Previously when using NOD32 I added the SER program files and user profile directories to the exclusion list which worked in terms of making it play nice with NOD32 but doing this with Smart Security doesn't work. So just wondering a couple of things: Does anyone else have the same issue and have you managed to remedy it? Are there only 2 folders that GSA SER uses that I should add to the exclusions list? If I can't fix the issue I'll go back to NOD32 but maybe there's a way to make them play nice.

Comments

• BTW: I cannot post anything here with paragraphs, they get removed ... is this normal behavior?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    edited November 2013

ESET is the one to blame. It's a horrible virus scanner as so many others. Do yourself a favour and get something that:

• does not take so many resources
    • scans better/faster

I always recommend AVAST, Kaspersky and AVG.

• Cheers for the feedback - in all honesty NOD32 has always been pretty light on resources for me, certainly less than AVAST. AVG has a pretty poor record in comparative tests (AVAST doesn't) so I'll either go with Kaspersky or back to NOD32.
  • BTW I wasn't bringing this up as anything to do with SER perse - the problem is ESET Security Suite here.

Virus checkers in general are a problem today. They give users a wrong feeling of security. Almost anyone can create a torjan/virus not being detected by all scanners and infect your PC. If someone wants to, he always can. You don't have to be a smart coder anymore.

But some scanners are still more evil like the mentioned one. They detect everything as virus that was e.g. compiled with a certain compiler just because they are unable to create proper signatures for the virus. It's getting worse all the time.

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited November 2013
    I have been using Kaspersky for years because it doesn't interfere with my various seo software. Very light footprint on system resources, and rated as the best virus detection.

That said, when I was running SER at home, I usually turned Kaspersky off because an antivirus is simply not needed - you can't catch anything, plus it consumes system resources.

I would be willing to bet that nearly 100% of the people here that are using VPS's have no antivirus on their VPS. Which just makes the point even more clear that it just isn't needed.

What I used to do at home was just flip on the Kaspersky switch when I needed to browse. Otherwise, I turned it off.
    what @ron said :)
  • Partially agree with you @Sven - it's never been easier to create malicious files. But I still don't see that is a reason to not use AV on a PC that could face infection vectors - however upon reflection I don't face many on my VPS other than Ubot visiting specific websites and I'd have to very, very unlucky. So you are right there. And @ron is indeed correct and good advice.
  • BTW again with the lack of paragraphs on my posts and I see you fellows have them ... why can't I get them? Testing double enters