Skip to content

Does a Post ranks the same as a Page?

Hello there, I am looking to to target various keywords for a website that I am building. Does a post ranks the same as a page?

Thanks 

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    Wordpress you mean?
    Pages seems to rank better than posts for me, but really there is no reason why that should be.
    Use whatever suits your site setup/theme better.
  • Yes for wordpress, the niche is actually low comp. My website has keyword + random 

And I just have posts related to my keyword
  • ronron SERLists.com

Do pages. They were the clear winner for me. I believe the reasons are very logical:

Posts are intended to be short term - for immediate consumption.

Pages are static, and they are there for the long term. If you are pitching something, then surely you would want that on a static page.

And then you can always add posts to support each page (as separate posts).

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited October 2013
    I have to disagree. I use custom post types for my pages and merge the two of them together effectively.

If you use custom permalinks for posts and make them appear as pages then that's another approach. You get the author/comment parts of Wordpress i.e. the author image appearing in SERPS too. Harder to get that to stick with a Page, Google seems to 'know' and remove it after a few months.
  • I'm going to chirp in and say it depends :))

Srsly though, I have some sites where I've ranked pages and I have some where I've ranked posts
  • I think internal linking is a more relevant concern.
  • ronron SERLists.com

It's like one of those everlasting debates that never get settled. However, I will say this...if you know who Yoast is, then you know that he's a top authority in the seo/wordpress professional crowd. He says to do pages as well here: http://yoast.com/articles/wordpress-seo/

I make a category page, then pages within the category, and then use posts to support a particular page or the category/page itself.

I would expect that posts could rank, but I'm using them to help the pages rank. So I intentionally avoid trying to rank the post.  

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    Pages don't show up in your RSS feed so Google can tell the difference. Whether or not that plays a role I don't know. I use posts and pages the way they were designed. Pages for static info, posts for everything else.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    You use the plugin "RSS include pages" so that shouldn't be a worry.