Skip to content

Which processor?

Hi guys,

I think it is time for a new computer but which one?
Does SER uses the benifits of an Intel core i7 or is an Intel core i5 (= save money) just enough?
What is about AMDs?
Suggestions are wellcome :-)

Comments

• Thank you Sven, as far as I can see these are the minimum requirements.
    Does SER support the features of an Intel i7 or is an i5 with same speed equal?
    I think this is the main question.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    As I only own a i7 I can not say anything to that but before I had that I had a AMD A2 and speed was fine on that as well. So don't take much notice of cpu.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    My VPS is i7, but first i ran SER on an old crappy home computer, with an E5400 processor i think.

Not really much difference in speed, more important is to have enough RAM i would say. The old PC had only 2 GB RAM and was ok for SER only, but if i tried to do anything else it would cry haha
  • I guess it also depends how many projects you have running. I ask because the amount of projects will rise in time and because of this it would good to plan for the future.
  • I'd suggest looking at the AMD FX8350 processor if you are planning on building your own.  It's about a 1/3rd of the price of the equivalent Intel i7 and will be comparable performance wise
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @stoffl - Yes you're right, but once you get to maybe 30 projects you are probably best to use the scheduler and run only 10 - 20 projects at once.
  • AMD FX8350 processor is indeed a thought worth but if you take in account that this computer run 24h/day and uses 130Watt (processor only) then Intel´s core i7 seams not to be so expensive.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited September 2013
    It doesn't run at anywhere near that.  Mine averages about 30watts, so that's maybe £3 - £5 a month in electricity.

At the time, for me it made sense to build my own as it was about £400 for a PC with an FX8350, 8Gb, 128Gb SSD and WHS2011.  That meant that after about 9 months, my home server will have paid for itself when compared with what I'd have had to spend to get a VPS of a similar spec.

Since then, I've also set up a mid range VPS with SolidSEO for a separate project, and the home server absolutely spanks it.

If you do go the home server route get a bigger drive than I did.  You can install WHS2011 onto a 128Gb SSD, but it's a bit of a faff - you have to install it to a larger drive and then copy it back to the SSD, as the install min reqs are something like 135Gb of free hard drive space, but it only really needs 60Gb to run in once it's installed.
  • Hi davbel, why WHS2011? Which benefits compared to other Windows systems does WHS2011 have?
  • Cheaper :D

Plus the first time I set up a WHS it was to be used as a home home server and then later, when I started using Magic Submitter it made sense to use the home server rather than leave my main PC as the home server was on all the time anyway.

When I started using SER I used the home server for the same reason and I got to the point where it wasn't fast enough (it was my old E6700 Core 2 Duo based PC), I decided to build a new dedicated SEO server and use the old one just to stream / file serve etc.