Skip to content

Private proxy question

edited October 2012 in Need Help
I've never bought private proxies.
When you puchase, I assume they ask for your IP address so they can use it for the Proxie or am I wrong?
I ask this because my Internet provider gives me a dynamic ip which changes once in while.

I think my ip has changed twice over the last few months due to router reboots,etc. I am worried that the private proxies I purchase will not hide my changed ip if I do not constantly keep track of it?

Is it possible to have the private Proxie vendor change my ip if I need to do so?
How does this work?

Comments

• I am using proxyblaze and I just login to a page after my ip address changes and that re authorizes my proxies to my new ip address, since the proxies are ip authenticated.
  • I think it depends on which proxies you use. I'm not really a proxy expert, but my IP changes too and I don't have any problems (not ip authenticated). Also, the provider never needed my IP. I think it's the difference between ip authenticated and "normal" proxies. Best would be to actually ask the question to a proxy provider.
  • I'm a newbie to private proxies. Just bought mine a few days back. Never gave my ip address. They just gave me proxy info and user and password. So I think you're fine. Just get some. It's done me a lot of good in terms of speed.
  • Typically private proxies are "authenticated". This is a fancy way of saying they want to make sure that the person using them is the person that paid for them in the first place. (You don't want someone else using your proxies after all.)

There are two ways of doing this authentication. 1.) IP authentication. 2.) User/Pswd authentication.

Some proxy providers use one way, some use the other way, and some allow both.

If you are using #1, then somewhere your proxy provider will provide a way for you to enter the IP address you want the proxies to be able to be run from (your PCs IP). Some proxy providers will allow you to enter several IPs, so that the proxies can be used from a few different locations (should you choose).

If you are using #2, then it does not matter what IP you use the proxies from, but when you indicate which proxy to use, you must put it in this format...

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port:userid:password

So, when you have a dynamic IP on your PC (like you do), it is easier to use proxies in format #2. If you don't, whenever the IP of your PC changes, you will need to remember to change that on your proxy providers account (to match your new IP).

One last thing to take into account is the capabilities of whatever software you are using. There are a few programs still around that do not allow you to input your proxies in userid:password format. You would not be able to use proxies that are provided in format #2 for these programs. This problem is gradually going away as more and more are allowing use of proxies in either format.

I have been using changemyip.com for the past several months for my proxies and have been very happy. They allow use of both formats, so I never have a problem.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @DavidA2 - Thanks! That cleared up a lot for me too. I recently see some private proxies are WEB and some are TRANS. Any idea the difference? (I googled it, but wasn't quite sure about it) Sven said not to worry about which to use, but now I am curios. :-)
  • Wow! Thanks David for you explanation.
  • Thanks to everyone that responded!
    I now feel very comfortable and will proceed with my proxy purchase!
  • GlobalGoogler...(and others that don't really understand proxies)...

I am probably a little more technical than the average user, so I understand a little better, but I am not an expert on proxies in any way. This answer is based on my understanding. It may be a little off, but I think it is fairly close. I didn't think about mentioning some of these points in my other post, but some of them are important as well.

There are two broad types of proxies - "http" and "socks". Global, you ask about "WEB". I have just recently seen them marked that way as well. I think this is just another way of referring to "http". Here is a link to a somewhat technical description of both.

http://thesafety.us/en/socks_proxy/

Socks proxies are more advanced and specialized (and expensive) than http proxies. Most people that use proxies will be using http proxies.

There are different "quality" http proxies - often referred to as "Elite", "Anonymous", and "Transparent". Transparent proxies should never be used. They get their name because they pass your original IP through to the site you are contacting - therefore your id is "transparent". You may as well not be using a proxy.

You want to make sure your http proxies are classified as either Elite or Anonymous. This will ensure that the IP of the proxy is what will be seen by the site you are contacting and not your original IP.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @DavidA2 - very interesting! I see a few are TRANS, and some are WEB, so will have to find out some more about the TRANS ones. It seems that WEB could be any of the ones you listed, including even TRANS ones! 

1) So when you import your list of private proxies into GSA, and test, what do you get for Type?
    2) What speed should a private proxy be registering in GSA? I am getting most at below 0.2s to 0.03s. 
  • David
    Are you sure Checkmyip allows the userid/password format.
    Their pre-purchase write up says something about " just enter your ip at checkout" and doesn't say anything about the userid/ password option.
    I'm sure your right but just checking before I proceed with them, thx
  • @GlobalGoogler...

1.) My all show as WEB. They are not TRANS. I think you should not be using ones that show TRANS.
    2.) Those speeds are very good. Mine are all around .5-.6 secs.

@Mike

You listed "Checkmyip". It should be "changemyup.com". If we are talking the same thing, then it is just something that is stated wrong (or confusing) on their site. I know for a fact that, by default, they are user/pswd authenticated. But you have the option of authorizing IPs as well (in which case, you don't need to enter user/pswd).
  • gee if i understand its better not to have TRANS in the proxies listing, but i dont see any filter or setup to pick only the WEB type in public proxies.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Koz - use private proxies. You won't regret it! You will see everywhere that people eventually make the switch. Test it for 1 month. Costs about $10. 
  • VP Proxies are dead when they are put in GSA and checked.  But they are fine when they are checked with SB.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Franko
  • I have decided not to use any private proxies with GSA. I think that not using them will be ok and that that maybe the links will have a more trickle effect. I am in no hurry to build all kinds of links to my sites.
  • thx for the tip globalgoogler the private provies are on my todo list. Im just finishing up the catchall thingy today. So many things to do... then the vps is a must because i see my monthly allowed bandwith melt like icecream on a hot day!
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @lostgringo - if you have any issues with getting links, then please use private proxies, or if you post on this forum about it, make sure you note the post that you are NOT using private proxies. This is normally the first issue that people have when they struggle to get links.