Skip to content

Feature Idea?

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited August 2012 in Feature Requests
I think it is better practice to have more url's pointing to your main page than your sub pages. 

Currently I have 2 projects setup. 1 for main page. 1 for sub pages.

This is to ensure that we have more links to homepage (which looks more natural).

A neat feature would be to be able to merge these two projects into 1 and then select the home and the ratio of home to sub page links if the user wants or to spread links evenly among target URL's. (or something like that). I tried importing the URL's and duplicating the home URL's to improve the ratio, but GSA strips out duplicates so this didn't work.

It's just that you want links pointing to different pages in a website, but the pages do not all have the same weight. 

A different aspect of this feature would be to import some URL's and allow the user to select maybe 2 or 3 of the more important ones (e.g. landing pages and homepage and blog) and the ratio of links to these URL's from the imported list.

Doing the above would mean I could trim 30 to 45 projects from my window which would make it easier to manage :-)

Anybody else like this idea?
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    sounds useful, I have noted down.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks... 

:-)
  • Or just stop stripping out duplicated urls.
    I have always done something similar with other tools to weight in favour of some urls over others.
    Its how many tools work, and would not add anything to the interface to confuse people.
  • deffinetely good idea
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I think the best would be to have it by default spread links equally among the target URL's. BUT option to right click on URL and set the % for that URL's. I.e. if you have 10 URL's you right click on home URL's and set to 50%. Then it receives 50% of links and the remaining 50% is spread amongst the other 9 URL's. 

My 2 cents worth...it will just reduce number of projects dramatically as so many projects have similar settings. :-) (For me it will take it from 150 projects down to 60 projects.)
  • +1 for GLobalGoogler description, great feature
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    We just need a few more people who like it...then maybe Sven will reconsider it. :) Not a priority as I have setup all my projects now, but it would reduce number of projects by at least 1/3 for me. 
  • +1 from me too. Sven said already he noted it down what means it's on his todo list.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Sven noted down and has implemented the homepage/root url option. BUT not the option to select 3 or 4 other URL's. (like landing pages or site major pages)...this is what I was referring to when we need a few more people. 

We already have the anchor text option. To get the root url option you need to select root url as well as url variation. Then if you set URL variation % to 50% you will then get 25% of target URL's as root domains. :-) (Not the most obvious way of doing it but very effective - I have a thread on it https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/31/root-urlvariations#Item_7)
  • I agree what you want, but as Sven said, it's allready complicated enough. I think this is one of the bottlenecks of SER, this dialog isn't as good as it could. It would be perfect to set for every url how often it should be used (in percentage) and define used keywords in a nicer way. Then everything would be clearer. But this would require redesigning the whole dialog.
  • I still think just being able to add the same url a number of times to weight it would do the job, saves all sorts of complicated GUI option. And it already uses a linklock feature (url#keywords) so you can be as specific as you like with keywords.
  • edited August 2012
    @m3ownz: Thats of course a way to get it done, but I think this is quiet a hack isn't it? I would go away from a single line field with a lot of options to a button with a window behind it. 3 colums: url, keyword(s), weight. This would be a lot simpler than now. The only advantage that I see in your solution is that it's possible to define the weight of the keywords too - but it's a little bit confusing to manage then.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I agree with Sven but still think it's a great idea. Would reduce multiple projects into single ones a lot more. (i.e. I have to have a separate project for each websites landing page. Some have 4 landing pages. So if we had a feature like this, these 5 projects (4 for landing pages and 1 for homepage) can be merged into 1 single project. = so much neater for many updates and managing everything!)
    Upcoming version will allow you to add the same URL to the project even if it is already present in the box.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks! That will solve many things and reduce the number of projects! :-) 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Does this work with the copy and paste from clipboard? I tried but it only added 1 version of the 10 identical URL's. 
    You would choose EDIT->Add URL.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Can we get it to work with the copy from clipboard or import text file as well? (For some sites I need a few URL's added and it would be much easier to just import the file or paste from clipboard)
    Added it to the import functions as well now
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks.