Skip to content

GSA Crashing

I'm having the same problem.  Keeps crashing on me.  Crashed 4 times in the last 6 hours.  Below is the problem signature from the dialog pop-up box about the crash.  I can provide a screenshot as well if you need to look at the app open

Current SER settings/config:  135 threads, Mem 807MB, CPU 99%

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Search_Engine_Ranker.exe
  Application Version:    5.7.3.0
  Application Timestamp:    2a425e19
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_e98d
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000000f8
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    e98d
  Additional Information 2:    e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
  Additional Information 3:    6eab
  Additional Information 4:    6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

As of this evening, I can barely run SER at all now before it crashes.  It's crashed 6 times today and continues to do so.  After about an hour, it just freezes up entirely now.  Before today's crashes, it rarely crashed on me.  I added about 10K target URL's to each project last night.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Please provide more info.:

1. Computer specification: e.g. Processor type, Speed, RAM, etc.
    2. Operating System and version.
    3. GSA SER settings (export the project file and send to support)
    4. Any other relevant information, e.g. any other software running at the same time, etc.

Have you tried creating a simple project with default settings and tried running that?
  • ronron SERLists.com

Try using the scheduler. My bet is you created a bunch of projects, made them all active, and hit Start. If you run too many projects at once, everything will freeze.

You might also have too few private proxies, too many threads for the proxies you have, or countless other issues as well. All it takes is one bad setting.

It might be best to discuss your broad settings and the broad picture first. It is probably something very simple. 

• edited April 2013
    I have been running a number of projects simultaneously without a hitch. I'm running 24 "projects", tiered 2,3,4's using 20 private proxies. Is there a max number of projects that should be run simultaneously? Reading through the forum, it appears that the proxies are rotated so I was assuming/hoping/wishing that would be enough PP's to maintain the same number of projects.
  • ronron SERLists.com

Yeah, but it reaches a point where you can't just turn everything on at once. I reached that point a long time ago, and I have 30 proxies. I don't think the answer is more proxies.

I either divide my projects in half, with the most important getting done the first half of the day, and then turn those off and let the other ones run. Or just use the scheduler and turn everything on. Either way the job gets done.

• I'm not sure what "scheduler" is but if you mean capping the number of links each project can build in each day, I'm currently doing that. In the Options tab within each project, "Pause the Project After"...  I couldn't find anything in the forum specific to directions on using the Scheduler.

I'm only running a couple Tier 1 link campaigns and I'm capping those at 20 verified links/day, Tier 2 links are capped at 200 verified/day, Tier 3 are capped at 1000 verified/day and Tier 4 are capped at 2000 verified/day.  So, if scheduling means capping the verified links I'm already doing that.  

I'm gonna try splitting up the projects Tier 1/Tier 4 morning, Tier 2/Tier 3 afternoon and see how that goes. 

• @ron Thanks for your help on this.  Pardon my noobiness but where can I find info on using the Scheduler in the forum?  Where is it located?  In Options within each Project?  I went out of my mind this morning trying to find some sort of instruction specific to that and couldn't find it.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited April 2013

First, you have to be stopped. Then hover over the start button. On the right side of the button there is an arrow - click on it and 'Scheduler' is one of the options.

Scheduling has nothing to do with the limits you set on projects. It literally will pick random projects to run (until all are run), and keep repeating the cycle.

Don't worry - it took me a while to figure that one out too. Join the club.

Just experiment. Try 10 projects every 30 minutes, try 15 projects every 15 minutes, and any variation you can think of is fine.

Also make sure you check "Stop projects with status Active (Pause). Otherwise you will blow through your limits on projects that already hit their quota. 

• Ron, if having more proxies is not the answer, then why you need more than 10 proxies in the first place?
  • @ron - Righteous.  Thanks man.

• ronron SERLists.com
    @zuluranger, my comment had more to do with the number of projects that @swarm has. 24 projects  is not a lot, especially with 20 proxies. I am able to successfully manage 100 projects with 30 proxies, and that is why I highly doubted that proxies was his problem. 
  • Thanks for your clarification, Ron.