Skip to content

Blog Comment - Links Appearing x2

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited April 2013 in Need Help
I am reviewing a few blog comments and notice that it has 2 links. 

1) In the comment body.
2) One in the name field. 

Surely it's best for it to only use 1 link. Either in body or in name? (I do have option try and place link in comment body enabled) I would prefer a comment body link but think that if this option is enabled, it really should only be trying to place 1 link not 2, otherwise it will get quickly flagged for spam/moderation.

Anybody else agree?

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com

I believe it is posting an embedded link because you have the option ticked to try and put a URL/anchor in comments whenever possible.

I think it is up to you whether you want that box checked. I know I do. At least I have the ability to have a contextual link in some places I otherwise would not have had the option. Granted it is a weak contextual link. 

• Hi ron
    Do you check the box - also analyze and post to competitor backlinks
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited April 2013
    No I never check those. That is not important to get good rankings.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - I was suggesting that if that option is enabled, by default it should not place the link in the name. It should be an either/or not a both. @sven - is this possible?

I also want an embedded link but think it looks spammy to have it both in name and in body which is why it should be either/or if you use the option. 
  • Why bother? You either get 1 link or 2.

Why focus on unimportant details?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    sorry no, thats not possible right now the way it works.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @crownvic - the default wordpress setting is "Hold Comments for Moderation with 2 or more links" as an example. So would be better to keep it to 1 link, but it looks much better and more natural with the link in the blog comment body. 

So if you keep it to 1 link, verified blog comment rate will be higher and it looks more natural.  
  • @AlexR, with 2 or more links in the body of a comment. An 1 link in the body, the second in the author's name. No filter triggered here.

I actually disabled General Blogs posting. I can't say I have 100%-verified data, but it seems that my test sites do much better without wordpress comments.
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne
    Quickest way to get your sites blacklisted in akismet etc by putting links in the comments
    Akismet are one of the worst to get blacklisted with blog comments