Skip to content

What do you use for Tier 2 Anchor text?

edited September 2012 in Feature Requests
Keywords in your anchor text on links to your money site is obvious. But what about Tier 2, 3 etc?

When linking to your Tier 1 links in Tier 2, you have to provide "Anchor text" in order for GSA to create the links. I actually in haste added my main keywords in spintax here, only to realise that this is probably not really a good idea. The anchor text from Tier 2 to Tier 1 should ideally be relevant to the page it's linking to and not dilute my Tier 1 campaign's efforts by making them the same anchors.

Is it possible for GSA to scrape the title or meta keywords of the page being linked to and use that as an anchor? I would think that this would be an ideal option. Any other ideas?

How do you guys handle your Tier 2+ anchor text currently?

Comments

• Another idea (and much easier to accomplish in terms of programming too): If the "Use also generic / natural anchor texts" optin is set to 100%, then make the "anchor text" field not required at that point since it wouldn't be used anyway.
  • Tier 2 anchor text does not really matter that much. The purpose of these links is first, to get your Tier 1 links indexed, and second, to add link juice to them. This is done no matter what the anchor text is. I have seen theories (I don't know that there is any proof) that LSI keywords on tier 2 can add some additional "juice".

The one thing you don't want to do for sure is build too many links from tier 2 to tier 1 with keywords you are trying to rank for. You don't want your tier 1 sites outranking your money site (by accident).
  • edited September 2012
    That's exactly my point, David! Except GSA requires anchor text for tier2+ projects. My argument is that I shouldn't need to add anchor text for these types of projects since they don't matter. Hence my suggestions:
    1. If no anchor links defined and it's Tier2+ project, GSA scrapes the title or meta keywords of the page being linked to and use that as an anchor, or
    2. If the "Use also generic / natural anchor texts" optin is set to 100%, then make the "anchor text" field not required
    Currently I have to add my own "generic keyword list", but I don't think I should have to since GSA already has one built in and it eliminates at least 1 more step I otherwise have to do.

• I think that in Tier 2 options sholud be option: "use anchor from tier 1". Its nice SEO technique. I mean when on Tier 1 backlink A has anchor "Aya", then on tier 2, backlink pointing to this particular URL ("A" from tier 1) should also have anchor "Aya".
    Is it possible to implement that option?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    next version has an option to use the same anchor text as the verified link it builds new links to.
  • Thats what i called "goog developers support".
  • Thanks Sven! My only hesitation with that is still what David said, "The one thing you don't want to do for sure is build too many links from
    tier 2 to tier 1 with keywords you are trying to rank for. You don't
    want your tier 1 sites outranking your money site (by accident)."

I'd like to be able to just choose the generic anchor text as links and not have to enter anchors or use any of my keywords. Doable?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well it will not happen as some links might not have the anchor text anyway (e.g. some guestbooks have only "Visit Website") and you can still use the generic anchor text option even though you use this new option. 
  • ok, I'll concede :). Thanks Sven!
  • bloupbloupbloupbloup Spain
    edited October 2013

The generic anchor is great in GSA search engine ranker. 

You just need to let the field "anchor text" empty and it will create a randomly made generic anchor text. (You can see it by clicking on test.

Then, if you have several URLs and if you want anchor text per URL, you just need to add after the URL 

#{anchor text 1|anchor text 2|anchor text 3...} and leave the other blank for GSA to take the generic anchor text. 

In the same project with manual tier 1 sites, you can have your money site url with anchor text against it and TIER 1 blogs with generic anchor text against it. 
  • @ruggero, Everyone has their own methods that work for them, but IMHO you want the anchor texts that link your tiers together to contain as many generic keywords and phrases that are related to your niche as possible.

The whole point of tiered link building is to pass not only PR but also thematic relevance through the tiers and up to your money site, which (in theory) should also help you to rank for phrases contained within the lower tiers as well.

I would use a big list of niche related keywords for your tier 2 anchor text, but as always, test it for yourself to see what works best for you.