Skip to content

Buying Aged, History Domains and Re-purposing Them?

edited March 2013 in Other / Mixed
Anyone here have experience with buying aged domains (from godaddy auction or other sources) that already has backlinks and re-purposing them for a completely different niche? I only have experience with buying ones and keeping them in the same niche, and know that this strategy works great so you don't have to start with a brand new domain. The issue I see that you might run into is that the backlinks to the site might all be about "dog training" and then you buy it and they all are about "forex" (for example) might look very unrealistic to search engines. Anyone tried this?
Tagged:

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2013

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about, and they might be better used in the context of a high PR network.

Being very honest here, this type of question really should be in an seo forum, not a software forum.

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    "The issue I see that you might run into is that the backlinks to the
    site might all be about "dog training" and then you buy it and they all
    are about "forex" (for example) might look very unrealistic to search
    engines"

Is this likely though? I mean if you are optimizing a keyword match domain I can't see it being so different...
  • I don't think it will be an issue to be honest. In a particularly niche i check out frequently, it's not uncommon to see a site which is aimed at a completely different niche (with the anchor text to match) now ranking for the niche i'm looking into, which is a completely different keyword, due to the new keyword being targeted.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited April 2013
    I've got about 10 or 11 domains I did something similar with in June / July last year with mixed results. 

I Created new content for all domains, but didn't build any additional links just to try and keep the results clean.

All lost at least some PR in the last update.  Some went to PR0 but some only dropped to PR2/3.

Basically, the ones where the change of niche was less did better.