Skip to content

Category

edited March 2013 in Need Help
Use WAC to autofill content fields, everything is going good except "category" for articles.
WAC has a button says "add all" then filled my project like this(notice that all categories are in one line separated by comma)

Before wac, I used manually input masks like this and it went really well

A little confused here, is SER able to process categories that wac generated? Im trying it out with one project now, but like to know it b4 wasting too much time. @sven could u confirm? and also which way is better in ur mind?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    That will work but it might be better if you add some more detailed sub-categories as mentioned in the manual.
  • looked through the pdf but i didn't find the reference to the "sub-categories"... also looked on google for site:forum.gsa-online.de "sub categories" and didn't find any more information

is it possible to get an example of best practice?

Hunar gave out a list here: http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/buy-sell-trade/447629-gsa-search-engine-ranker-extremely-powerful-linkbuilding-software-free-5-day-trial-17.html#post4403101

is there a big difference in submission rate if we add the whole list v.s. just letting GSA choose?

thanks

Yes there is a big difference. You should define the categories properly. Keep in mind that categories are used to browse the site for some engines (directories mainly).

That is when your category reads "Computer::Software::Shareware", it tries to click Computer, followed by "Software" and so on till it reaches a link where a "Add URL to this Category" is visible.

If you just define "*Computer*" it will not see the link and can not continue.

However telling you now what your category should look like is a bit difficult. Most people get along when adding "*Computer*" but it's not the way it should work as you skip a lot potential sites.

You should enable "Ask User" in the project options and see for yourself what categories are offered. That helps you to get a clue how it should look like.

• @skyf Im trying, so far the WAC generated categories got me this
    IMO mediawiki doesn't need categories, so the success rate is pretty ulgy.
    @Hunar 's list is good, but it doesn't show which of them is sub-categories, so am about to test a manually edited top & sub categories with **masks, see how it's doing
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I'm just wondering about this finding correct category. What if it finds a listed parent category, and then tries to find a sub category, but can't. What if it then used the keywords as a check to see if it can find the next sub category? Just an idea. 
  • @Sven, so if there are multiple categories in the list, is SER try everyone until the 1st match, or just randomly pick one?

yes it tries all.
  • edited March 2013
    not having much luck getting articles verified either... must be this category thing

will definitely try this: "You should enable "Ask User" in the project options and see for yourself
    what categories are offered. That helps you to get a clue how it should
    look like."
  • @Sven

is there a way to import categories with their hierarchy already set?

maybe some kind of syntax so we can just import instead of "add level" by hand

simple format i can think of is csv:

business, affiliate marketing, seo
    business, affiliate marketing, ppc
    business, internet marketing

so above would be

business
    =>affiliate marketing
    ===>seo
    ===>ppc
    =>internet marketing

possible? ;)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2013

@sven's suggestion is pretty darn smart. Never even thought of that.

A similar analogy: If you own BMD, then you can look at all their stock bookmarking properties, and they have the category listing built-in for each one. That has helped me for bookmarking.

• mmm interesting, can you implement what @skyf recommended ?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I had to do it manually for the bookmarks. No shortcuts.

You can import that already.

format is...

CATEGORY1::SUB1::SUB2::...

CATEGORY2::SUB1::SUB2:...

• @Sven, could we have same category name under different root? I 've spent half an hour or so selecting categories, some sites have root>blog>business, some have root>business>consumer goods & services, after edit - export -import, the list became root>blog>business>consumer goods & services. SER automatically trim business under blog, is that a bug or something?
    send me the sample file you try to import...will have a look on that on monday.
  • ronron SERLists.com

@sven, yeah, I was referring to extracting from BMD is manual. I agree with what you said.

• File sent. Hope it will come alive in next update