Skip to content

Global Site List Sets

Hi, Sven.

Was  wondering if it might be a time-saver to have a few user-definable sets of global site lists accessible by clicking below the I,S,V,F field I guess??

Just so users can switch out their global lists easier, and make changing lists less time-consuming...

Hmm...only applies if you're using multiple lists and changing often?

Comments

• AliTabAliTab GSAserlists.com
    This will make better UX if possible, as I can see users get confused when they want to use my service.
    But this needs to be available at the project options tab as well, lets see if Sven can make this possible :) 
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Im open for suggestions...hand in your sketches ;)
    Thanked by 1AliTab
  • AliTabAliTab GSAserlists.com
    Hello @Sven
    Thank you. I'm not good at photoshop but I have made these about how I'm thinking about this.

And, when a user checks the "Add your purchased site lists", sth like this popup will open:

As far as I know, making things dynamically is a bit hard. So, I thought about 4 more inputs. If the user has selected "Add your purchased site lists", then he\she can see these site lists inside the project's options tab.
    And now, users are able to find site lists providers easily.
    I hope you like it :D
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    next update allows you to add custom site list folders
    Thanked by 2Deeeeeeee royalmice
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited January 2022
    Thank you, Sven!!!!!
    I have been thinking about this since this post.
    Lists are important. So, would it be useful to have an indicator at the bottom status bar?
    Like I S V F maybe in colors that correspond to list colors users can assign?
    Or maybe we users can assign 4 character designations for the lists?
    I: GSAI S:OFF V:DRP1 F:LIS5
    And clicking brings user to Advanced menu to alter settings?
    Maybe even user can click On-OFF and user can add list options so if there are 3 lists user can click on I and get "Off/GSAI/SER1/DRP4/SB44/Off/GSA .."

So, each list can have options for various lists added...as a list lol for user speed in switching?
    Sven, I just DLed the update!! I am confused, though. (ofc lol)
    When I check [X] custom list and setup folders...
    What next? How do I assign different folders to ISVF?
    Thank you!

you just need to enable "custom site lists" in project options. But it's all or none.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    Sven, how do I set I each as ISVF?
    Or, do all the custom lists enabled get used together? Thank you!
    yes, all get used.
    edited January 2022

Oh.I see now! In project settings there is an option for "Custom" list. Now,it makes sense. :)

Sven, do you think it would be useful if there were a shortcut to Options>>Advanced on main status pane bottom bar?

And maybe could be just I S V F C, just red or green for active (checked lists, including custom) or inactive global lists checked off?

If we wanted to go crazy, lol I guess there could be a popup that controls ALL lists, including the standard other four SER has used since at least I've been here. Each list could be populated exactly how  you coded the new Custom list, but then each list would be able to be even more customizable!

Or,not. It doesn't make sense. Maybe way too confusing and little to gain!!

How about a second, or even third,  Custom Set, Sven?! :blush:

Presently, I "misuse" the I S V F lists in SER. I use the S as a Identified DropBox list, F as a Submitted Dropbox List, and I used to use a third for the Dropbox High-DA list, but now I have that set to be Custom.

I am still fixing projects and learning and re-learning, but at some point I do want to play with lists, even a scraper and GSA Platform Identifier, and generate my own list, in addition to purchased.
    hmm I really like it as it is now. I really don't want to over complicate things and add more in status bar. People are already confused with site lists.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    OK. It's your world, Sven! :) I tend to over-complicate things, as you well know. lol
    Thanks for the Custom Lists!
    OK; just so I am 100% sure: The Custom list is, effectively, a FIFTH list, that can be comprised of other lists in other folders, no? The other four folders will still operate when checked, even if Custom List is checked, no? Juuuuuuuuust making sure. ;) lol
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    99.9% of all users wrongly  think that to use the list they need to check the box in GSA Options. Little does they know that that check box actually is to enable  or disable  read \ write access to the list.

I see so many people that use a  read only shared list via Dropbox from the many list providers - and then they check that box thinking it is to select to use the list ( so now gsa is constantly trying to write to a Dropbox read only file - a waste of resources )

Maybe @sven should consider removing the check box next to each list, and provide a heading that say something like "specify location of your list" and a not so obvious place where people can enable write access for their list.

I made a  detailed blog post in 2018  about correct way to use Global site list , here it is 

https://asiavirtualsolutions.com/correctly-use-gsa-global-site-list/

Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • @royalmice

Great stuff.
    Thanked by 1royalmice
    edited January 2022
    Thank you @royalmice.  I usually uncheck the default SER Global Lists  when running a purchased list. I only do that because I don't want to mix up the URLs scraped by SER with the list. They seem, in many cases, to be very different.

But I definitely did NOT know a Global List will STILL work as read only if unchecked.

If I check a dropbox list, I get a folder called conflicts. I haven't checked this out, so I don't know if it's just a report of instances of attempting to save and failing, or a list of URLs that were attempted to be saved. (I assumed all this time it was a way of building a list from the purchased list, if I use the list in the desired slot.) Like if I use a purchased list in Verified slot, I will also get a list of all Verified URLs if I then check the box, if and only if the conflict folders are simply files. I have to check!!!!

Thank you for the info. I see you understood that I had (yet) another misunderstanding. I appreciate that you've helped me to clear that up!! :)

Thanked by 1royalmice
  • JayJayJayJayJayJay Malaysia
    edited June 2023
    Hello all, Im a bit confused. Please help.

Under the main OPTIONS tab > Advaced > Site Lists > Custom List
    I have added a folder where a .sl file is located

I then go to my project's OPTIONS and turn on "Use URLs from global site lists if enabled" and have "Custom" checked.

But then when I activated the project, I dont see any URLs being loaded to the project.
    What have I dont wrong here?

I do realize that I can import the .sl files by right clicking on the project and then choose "Import Target URLs" and get the urls in my .sl file loaded to the project, but still I wonder I couldnt do it the way described above.  What I understand from this thread is that the custom folder was made so that we can add purchased lists in the custom folders for each project to use, but it didnt work for me as I described above. Perhaps this Custom folder does not accept .sl files? I dont know.

Anyone can explain this better or point me to wherever I can find this information please? Thanks a lot.
    you need to unpack the sl file in that folder. *.sl is nothing more but a zip file.