Skip to content

Pinging And LPM Speed

ronron SERLists.com
edited February 2013 in New Engines/Platforms

I am quickly coming to the conlusion that pinging 100+ pinging services in SER is insane. It adds so much redundancy to regular processing.

If you are building 10,000 verifieds per day, then you are issuing 1,000,000 pings. Is that really necessary? I don't think so.

If you ever watch an authentication run, you will see that after all that verification occurs (which is long enough), pinging is twice as long or longer.

If you look at the pinging services, you will see almost every major country on the planet - several times. I am cutting this down to about 10, and might cut further. I don't need to be pinging russia, italy, spain, etc.

I think having all those options is fantastic, but too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

Just my thought on efficiency so more time is spent making links, not pinging links.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    True, especially if you add all google ping URLs is not required. Just one is enough. Also note that some people add the same url twice with and without / at the end or with and withough www. in front.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I just wanted to bump this up for folks who care about speed and LPM.

I significantly cut the pinging services, and saved at least an hour of completely unnecessary pings. That means one more hour of submission per day!

The best thing to do is either a) cut it to a handful of pinging services or b) print out your log when pinging begins to see some obovious patterns of successful pinging services vs. failed pinging services.

Your tip for the day... 

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What is the best way to determine the best ping sites? It seems the best way is to choose the top 10 ping sites only. Just wondering how to determine that? 

• ronron SERLists.com
    Look in your log to see which ones are consistently successful, and those that consistently fail.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - I got that! But are there other criteria which makes one successful ping service better than another???
  • someone mind to share their top 10 sites?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Alex, it's nothing personal, but I spent an hour analyzing my logs to see which ones failed a lot, and which ones were successful. Then I made a master list of the good ones, and then picked 6 or 7 of them.
  • Yes. I somehow respect that.....

I sometimes have the same mindset in forums.. help newbies to learn how to do...... or just do everything for them........

You will always have to balance helping, and not sharing everything you do..
  • LeeGLeeG Eating your first bourne

I dont use the ping services only a paid service

Imagine how much is slows link building if you ping 10k 20k 30k verified a day

• @ron how do you check that ping logs ?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Just right click on the scrolling log, choose 'log to file', give it a name and save it to your desktop. But a word of caution: Just do it for a 5-10 minutes and go back in and shut it off. If that file gets too big on your desktop, and it can get massive, it will stall out SER. So just do it when you see SER starts pinging.
  • edited March 2013
    done. lowered it to 12........

LeeG, what service do you re commend?

Im a tight git, so I looked at a service that can handle the verified I send through

I use Lindexed, link in ser to them. $19.97 a month

You can submit 50k links every 24hrs

I have not tried any of the other services though, so cant compare the others

• ronron SERLists.com

I use lindexed too. I think it's probably the best deal for the buck and the number of links you can send.

Blame ron, he said they were good when I asked him a few months back

Remember, ron´s fault for the advice :)

• ronron SERLists.com
    Just don't listen to me. I'm too busy right now doing my imitation of @LeeG struggling to find out how my 200 mph race car keeps crashing. My life was so simple before at slower speeds. 

Oi stop that ron, you know the MrHappy name has gone and that poor kid was MrGrumpy without using his brain to find the hidden ser tricks

I wonder if his mummy has managed to calm his temper tantrum down yet

Cut the junk.

I run mine with very few kiddie features being run

Look at when it crashes and see if you can do anything to cut down on whats going on at the time

Global site lists seems to be my main culprit

• ronron SERLists.com
    Yeah the crazy part is that I don't use the site lists. I am trying different things with and without the scheduler, cutting back on search engines, lowering threads, you name it, I'm doing it. Ping is probably going out the window next lol, after this brilliant thread I created.

Is yours just freezing?

Runs normally, then just into doing nothing until you hit the stop button and you get the not responding message?

• edited March 2013
    I somehow got on the using sitelist train. feeding it with gscraper :-)

I will try some indexer services a soon as I got my ROI out with CS3x, CB, SER + proxy.

anyhow, thats the first in all my www-years I am doing "Real" SEO....... learning, spending time, getting better, getting results, tweaking....

But I will cut back on proxy-services.

go down to 50-100 threads and use 10 semi, thats all.

maybe invest the money for a VPS with better download/upload speed...

And about that MrHappy....... those cases occur in every forum....

those linux forums were the worst "do you know man?" "check the FAQ" blabla shit........

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/give_a_man_a_fish_and_you_feed_him_for_a_day._Teach_a_man_to_fish_and_you_feed_him_for_a_lifetime

but always "balance your teaching........" so it does not end in giving them the fish.....
  • ronron SERLists.com

Exactly, just freezing. Absolutely no issues with RAM and CPU - only 25% of capacity. The log stops scrolling, the count continues moving upward, and then everything with SER freezes. Everything else on the computer works fine, like Excel, browsing websites, other software, etc. Then I have to kill it with taskbar, and then of course lose the newly built links in the project. 

A couple times the thread count worked its way to zero without freezing. Just very weird behavior that I have never seen before.

The logs really don't reveal anything, everything looks normal, so I am just experimenting with about a dozen variables. You know the drill. 

Two heads are better than one on this then

Same problem here, mine is normally about the same time each day 4am when its coming to the end of link checking

When yours stops responding is the last line

Checking links....

• ronron SERLists.com

I will look for that. One of the problems is that when the freeze occurs, usually the log screen completely disappears, usually when I'm not looking or asleep. And it is about 4:00 am when it crashes.

But it also crashed multiple times since then. I just fired up v5.21 and it is working fine now. I'm not one of those version nuts that likes to keep going backwards, but it does seem to help.

Since setting all my email verifications to fifteen minutes between log in´s, my LpM has dropped right down from what it should be

What it shows has dropped down from what it should be

I also remember people having troubles with Ucenter (social networks) causing problems at one stage

Im not version hopping on this one because all my verified are being sent through to Lindexed

• ronron SERLists.com

Yeah, it just froze again for the 8th time today. It found a bunch of urls in email, bunch of gold stars, and then total freeze. Had to kill it with taskbar. Can't see a pattern.

Ucenter is articles. But I don't submit to that one.

I unticked check my email every 15 minutes a week ago so that isn't it for me.

I went back to 5.22 again. Going at 140LPM which isn't on fire, but ok. I just know something is going to happen again.

Thankfully I'm just doing T2 and lower, so all these restarts aren't really hurting me.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Regarding Freezing, I think it's related to the scheduler. It doesn't seem to close off the threads in some instances and many users have said they use Task manager (myself included) to get SER to close. It could be related.

@Ron - "Alex, it's nothing personal, but I spent an hour analyzing my logs to see which ones failed a lot"  - that wasn't my question. Obviously eliminate the dead ones first, using the log. My question was meant to be how to grade working ping sites. So "if I give you 2000 working ping sites, how would you pick your top 20 from a list of 2000 working ones???"

This is why I think the LpM counter is broke

I made two changes last night to see if I could get an over night run

One was an engine being disabled, the other was how I use the global sites lists, which I know from experience can cause some problems when you do a decent amount of daily submissions

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2013

@LeeG - Agreed the counter is broke. I was able to get it to run overnight. No scheduler. I just hand selected about half my projects to run. Just woke up, and now made the rest active. On a 180k pace so far.

@AlexR - I made a master list of about 20 good ones, and then randomly chose 6 or 7.

• @ron  where is the pinging option? how to cut?
  • ronron SERLists.com

Options>Indexing>Submit backlink urls to blog search engines

It really should read send to ping services. The ping services are listed right below that box. Just uncheck that box to stop pinging.