Skip to content

Redirects in URL -- link juice or not?

edited March 2021 in Other / Mixed
Guys, I'm wondering. 
If you have a URL with a redirect, e.g.
hxxp://www.bovec.net/redirect.php?link=instafollowers.wtf&un=xxx@gmail.com&from=bovec
or the (old) phpinfo exploits, how could that possibly make google count this as a link?
And if I add a tier to it, bovec.net would be getting the link juice, not instafollowers.wtf?
Or am I wrong? 
I am seriously confused.

Comments

• oops, I didn't want to put a real link in here, didn't use the "chain" icon, but I see it got auto-converted to a clickable link. Sorry for that. 
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    I think it depends on the redirect type. If it's 301, it means the link juice is transferred to the redirected URL.
  • That of course, but I mean the "in-url" type of linking
  • oh, sorry, you mean if the redirect is done as a 301 on server level  
  • I'll test a few with curl
  • Here's a bit of an update if someone reads that months from now ;-)

That specific one is a javascript redirect. So possibly Google follows it, but unlikely that any link juice is passed. 

phpinfo exploits was a bad example, because there the server of course dynamically creates a normal web page with a normal <a> link (of course all modern phpinfos don't fall for it anymore)

I checked a few hundred old URL shorteners, redirect and statistics urls (unique domains, links on average 2 years old), and the results are very mixed: most are defunct after those 2 years ;-)

Some build pages with a normal <a href=..., (some with nofollow attribute), some with javascript location.href. 

A very small minority  uses a 301 redirect. 
    Here's an example: 
    hxxp://allfight.ru/redirect.php?url=https://your.url.here

The best cases I found build a "you are leaving..." page with a regular follow link plus automatically forwards via javascript or via <meta http-equiv="refresh"  after a few seconds. 

All in all still worth it, methinks

Thanked by 1sickseo