Skip to content

after the last two updates my gsa ser loads my vps CPU at 100%

I've been running gsa ser on my vps for last couple days with no problem until today. after I update the software twice as recommended. GSA SER has slow down dramatically and my cpu usage has gone thru the roof. GSA gotta get this fix man,NOT GOOD FOR BUSINESS. I dont have the extra money to dish out more memory and ram in my vps service.

Comments

• I am also having cpu usage on latest versions. I have a powerful dedicated server. So i really dont think the hardware resources are the issue
  • edited March 2021

cpu usage has gone to 90% at 130 threads with the latest update.
  • Its the issue that the developers should have taken care of already, but no one is even bothering it.

I am running my GSA on a powerful machine with 16 Cores of processor and 64 GB of RAM

If I run it with 20 threads or even 500 threads when more than 2-3 projects move to the VERIFICATION phase it usually jump the CPU usage to more than 90%(as it shows in the bottom bar). But not just this the actual system resources it consumes goes to the maximum and even a 16 Core machine comes to a halt and freeze for a while.

It is a serious problem with the GSA after last few updates. Mainly when it is update to version 15 initially. When I updated the GSA to version 15 it drastically started eating up system resources mercilessly.

Also it is having an issue of not saving the projects mentioning "MEMORY EXCEPTION - OUT OF MEMORY" when my system is having lot of free memory already.

And for this reason the verified links quantity has decreased almost 60 % and too bad for the purpose.

Please take care and resolve this issue ASAP.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well please understand a few things here:
    • It's a 32bit program so it doesn't matter how much memory you have, it can only allocate up to 3.5GB of RAM
    • Each system is different and if you noticed a CPU increase when update, it's not a good idea and wait for several updates till you report it. I can no longer track the changes made to see what could have caused it now.

Anyway if we all want to resolve the issue now, we need to see in what situation there is this CPU increase. Maybe track it down to one project and one activation state (submitting, verifying,...) so I can debug it if you send me that project backup. I would be able to run it in a profile to hopefully find the bottleneck.
  • Sven said:
    Well please understand a few things here:
    • It's a 32bit program so it doesn't matter how much memory you have, it can only allocate up to 3.5GB of RAM
    • Each system is different and if you noticed a CPU increase when update, it's not a good idea and wait for several updates till you report it. I can no longer track the changes made to see what could have caused it now.

Anyway if we all want to resolve the issue now, we need to see in what situation there is this CPU increase. Maybe track it down to one project and one activation state (submitting, verifying,...) so I can debug it if you send me that project backup. I would be able to run it in a profile to hopefully find the bottleneck.

The issue is definetly started since around start of the year. Problem is that gsa eats up a lot more resources than it used to have in the past. Take my example:
    using 14.89 - 25 projects and 250 threads - cpu is less than 50%
    using 15.19 - 15 projects and 150 threads - cpu is at 95-99% always

I can send you a bug report with 1 project and 10 threads for example but i dont know if it will make an impact since with such low load probably the cpu will be around 10%-20%
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    well i need one project where this can be seen easily. 10-20% is not really unusual.
  • Sven said:
    well i need one project where this can be seen easily. 10-20% is not really unusual.
    10% might not be unusual for a single project and 10 threads. but 95% for 15 projects and 150 threads i am sure that is very unusual considering that this is a dedicated server with 12 cores and 16gb or ram.
    I will send you both a bug report and a project backup during today
  • gsa ser  fixed the problem thanks. the latest update of gsa ser fix the overload cpu usage.