Skip to content

Migrating GSA to another computer!

Hello guys! My computer screen is broken so I need to migrate all my GSA projects to a new computer. How can I do this?
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    the most easiest way is to:
    1. go to the appdata folder: cd %appdata%
    2. select all GSA* folders
    3. copy/pack and transfer tot he new PC and extract in that same folder
    4. edit each config.ini file you find and search for :\ and change the pathes if they changed now (optional).
  • without the number 4 it won't work?
    it will work, but if you install e.g. under a different user, then some of the configured pathes might be wrong...you can still change that in GUI.
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    might be easier to just buy a new monitor
    Thanked by 1JayJayJay
  • also will have new PC in the following month. Will it work if I just do clean install from .exe and manual export projects?
    Or better move all files as  @Sven wrote on the post below? Will updates work normally?
    you might want to copy the whole folder as it also holds the site lists and other things. That can be backed up via options (label on the left/bottom).
    Thanked by 1callmemaximillian
  • LianeSolierLianeSolier Mexico
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the contribution, it has been very useful for my Rigba Chihuahua project.

Thanks.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited August 2021
    "it will work, but if you install e.g. under a different user, then some of the configured pathes might be wrong...you can still change that in GUI."
    Sven, I didn't ever look at the config.ini files before. It's so convenient to be able to just scroll down and see at the settings!

I found that there were, indeed, a bunch of instances of the path from my old machine.  I see that they could be changed in the SER GUI, as you said.
    I didn't know Windows 10 would generate a User folder based on the first five letters of the silly e-mail I used to generate my account and register. :(

I am at the last step now: Just have to boot up the old machine and copy my serial numbers. This is the correct next step, no?
    I had first installed the latest version downloads of the GSA software on the new machine, then overwrote it all with the Program Files and AppData from the (same version) instance of SER on the old machine.

OK; I just found old e-mails for the account associated with my GSA product purchases. Everything's now up and running. Still have to recreate the path to the profile image pics for engines that use that. I had put the folder on the desktop. I should really just move that. It's not a good place for them, anyway.

Is there anything else I need to do as far as Windows firewall rules? I am just using what comes with Win10 .
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    Update: Everything is working perfectly! Migrating was a painless process. I regret having put it off for so many months.

Thanks to those who answered before I asked, and for GSA for having a great support forum. :smile: