Skip to content

Help with Subdomains

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited January 2021 in Other / Off Topic
Good day, GSA pplz...
I am trying to eliminate some subdomains without losing rank from backlinks pointed at them.
I found this on stackOverflow:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^answers\.mydomain\.com$   [NC]
RewriteRule ^ http://mydomain.com/answers  [L,R]<br>
Would this work if placed in root .htaccess? Would I still need to set up the sub-domain A Record (for each deprecated sub-domain) in order for this to work?
I am confused...I thought that sub-domains are hosted at the local-level DNS and not Internet-wide nameservers. Would this work then?? Would it work bc this would apply ONLY to sub-domains that DON'T have a record?
Thanks, ahead of time, for any help.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Im no expert on this but: subdomains are resolved by your name server and that can be local of course.
    However, I don't think this will work unless you have defined that subdomain, because it needs to resolve to your nameserver or that nameserver needs to deliver at least always the ip of the webserver that has this .httaccess when opened.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited January 2021
    OK. Thanks, Sven.
    That's what I was hoping wasn't the answer! lol
    I am having too many problems with sub-domains. I've tried THREE hosting companies, FOUR servers, and now and all fail. Cpanel, Plesk, and VirtualMin. NONE work.
    My subs worked until last week...now nothing works...anywhere...
    Trying to get away from these subs anyway, but dont want to lose the link weight.
    Stressful nonsense. :crazy: