Skip to content

Google update

I do not know what happened in the Google update, but my site witnessed a severe drop in visits and a significant decline in results Please help me improve the site 
https://al-koya.com/
Tagged:

Comments

• DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited December 2020
    Hey buddy! I experienced the same on an income-generating site.
    Of course you never know but it did happen at precisely that point in the time line coinciding with the Google Core Update, and so probability-wise, it is possible, even likely the drop in SERPS, thus visitors , sales, etc. is due to some issue update-related.
    For your site: I guess a lot of the "winning" sites these days have templates that have some movement. You know, like monkeys coming out o th sides of the pages to slide the text over into view, changing backgrounds on scroll, images scrolling at different speeds than text, so movement, movement, movement!
    Otherwise, stylistically, it's OK.
    As far as anything else, it's on the thin-side, content-wise, but truthfully, in a lot of different SERPs I find websites like yours ranking for local businesses. So while Google says add more content, I don't know how much is too much.
    It's direct and you give all the relevant info. Broken up into chunks. Easy to read.

Maybe using GSA Keyword Researcher would be a great idea.
    If you don't have it, start now manually and taking notes. I guess that's a good method? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Try to work backwards to see what other sites are doing in your area of competition.
    What did you do that was the (poor) exception?

For my own recently tanking pages: The site was HTTP, now it's HTTPS. Not sure what other improvements to make, except for I'm going to look over each page and add/revise, check out canonical tags, dead links, more new images, finish parts of site not done (YIKES!), fix the PHP stuff that won't work on the new server that add usefulness to the site, work on site speed and reliability even more.
    (New server, different IP than underlying server, NEVER connected to the world without Cloudflare, unique IPs for different sites on same servers, NONE actual server IP, everything to make DDOS attacks on the IP or even database IP harder...
    Wanted to put keyboard navigation on the site. I have no idea if any of this is good for Google. I guess either way it's good for the site. And, gets me in the flow having a few important, time-sensitive goals, like correcting this as soon as possible!!

Also...ONLY new T1s from high quality accounts.

Any other ideas appreciated!!

• KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    edited December 2020
    I hope for you that it is only related to the Google update ...
    Very sincerely, considering the poor quality of backlinks that you sent directly to your site, there is a very little chance that you will manage to improve the situation. This kind of thing could still happen almost 10 years ago.
    I will give the floor to another member but apart from disavowing ...
    Maybe people affected could trade their websites (via private message) and together we can perhaps determine what this specific update didn't like that was formerly OK that's common to all the sites affected?

??
  • content , security, reliability(authority ), speed  these four are enough to rank a site.
    edited December 2020
    Hmm...

Content: I see my affected website is also a local service site, like yours. With a generic sounding name, also...both our company names sound more like Soviet no frills brands...my domain def is just a type of business and a location...not even a brand...
    Security: I Just went HTTPS...I see you already are...
    Reliability:..As for authority, I've been just getting links from where ever all these years.  My newest T1s I do by hand on blogs and social media. I guess guest posts would help?
    Speed: I'm on an intermittently slow(ish) shared server. Slowly moving all my domains over to better and faster VPSes. Also had issues with DDOS attacks...I'm going to be working on those.

How about styling? Do you think that matters? The my tanked looks old. And, it is. I see what ranks and they're all similar-looking templates, regardless of CMS.  If anything, SPARSE content, neat and clean...the main page covers EVERYthing...section by section..as user scrolls down...

"content , security, reliability(authority ), speed  these four are enough to rank a site. "

Since reading this,  I have kept mindful of its truth and significance. Thank you.

• better user retention is the real key

check for other sites copying your content, some times google brings new sites up with copied content higher than original.  Happened with me many times over last 2-3 year
    edited December 2020
    "check for other sites copying your content"

Sounds like a good proactive action. I had this happen once a while back with a local business: the site with the word-for-word copy of what I wrote ranked higher. (Including the images they copied, literally had my website's metadata in the JPGs!

Didn't contact them with DMCA removal order. Probably was a bad idea not to. WayBack Machine proves I wrote it way before. By the time I was going to, they had already adapted the site and removed it in place of new content.

I did contact Google asking for the page of their to be de-ranked. That's as far as I got.
  • As far as ranking drops are concerned, you built links to move rankings up for target keywords? So guess what happens when these links disappear off the internet? Your rankings drop back down. So traffic loss will be directly linked to link loss. Replace these lost links to get your rankings back. This could be Tier 1 links or links from any tier.

This Google core update was refreshing the index. So older, less popular and perhaps stale sites moved down. Whilst newer, faster, more modern sites moved up. All they did was update the index to be inline with 2020.

On page SEO is the only thing you can be held accountable for. So look at your internal linking and site navigation from a users point of view. Can every page on your site be reached from any other page? Do you have LSI keywords sprinkled on your pages? Is your on page content written with enough depth and analysis of the topic? Do you link to other relevant sites as references?

Consider also your site topic. Focused niche sites will always do well as they are considered as authority sites when compared to general topic sites that try to cover multiple niches with little depth of content.

If you can't figure out what happenned, then I'd suggest starting over with a fresh domain and run some more SEO experiments.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee