Skip to content

what determines the amount of threads you can use

what determines the amount of threads you can use ? (in order to get more done in the same amount of time)

the reason im asking is because i have seen some posts say they would need minimum 16GB of ram,
but also that GSA SER is 32 bit & that anything over 3GB of ram would not make any difference.

ive taken account of various things to try & make it more efficient etc. & keeping an eye of
memory & cpu usage at bottom of GSA SER interface.

i have 4gb of ram, so would getting more ram make any difference ?

Comments

• DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited June 2020
    "i have 4gb of ram, so would getting more ram make any difference ?"

Hmm...SER is a 32 bit program. So it's addressing space is limited to 4 GB.

With that said...more RAM is good b/c then you can run other programs that you need to have going WITH SER. That 4 GB ceiling in that case is meaningless.

More memory on your system means that GSA Captcha breaker, GSA Content Generator, etc., etc., can all have more memory space to work.

Threads you can use depends on what the threads are doing. Scraping takes more system resources, I think.

Re-verification takes the least.

• hredmanhredman Phoenix, Arizona
    Deeeeeeee is right. SER will not require a larger RAM but you will need RAM to let other essential tools to run.

I generally don't go above 100 threads if that helps in your work.
  • thanks

i have -
    GSA SER, GSA Captcha breaker, GSA Content Generator - on same vps, but content generator only uses resources when you scrape articles, once you export the articles to GSA SER, it doesnt do anything else (?)

i noticed on task manager that GSA Captcha breaker uses a lot of resources (i cant remember if it was ram or cpu) in short bursts.

i only have one or 2 other tools running about 5 threads each.

"I generally don't go above 100 threads if that helps in your work."
    is that with 4gb of ram ?

mine is 60 threads
    automatically decrease cpu at 75%
    automatically decrease memory at 2500 MB

i noticed the memory doesnt get used that much on GSA SER, but the cpu intermittently goes up , so i kept it at 60 threads.