Skip to content

clarification of importing sites

on the individual projects i have :-

options>
tick box (yes) use urls from global site lists if enabled - identified & verified
(so it imports from global identified lists & shares the verified lists

on global options
"build site lists that can be used globally by each project"
identified & verified ticked

i then right clicked on project > show urls> show stats about remaining urls
& project said 0 urls left

i then imported sites from a .txt list
right click on project>import target urls>from file

let gsa ser go through all the urls
& project said 0 urls left

then right click on project>import target urls>from identified list
& it says 57630

so could you please explain what gsa does in "global site lists" on the global options & the individual projects.

ultimately i want to import urls (whichever way is best / fastest), let gsa go through them & then gsa will share the verified urls
between each project without doing any other importing.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    The "show remaining targets" is for all directly imported sites.
    The sites from the site lists are taken dynamically once the project runs. Just a couple of them only.
    The way you have set it up is ok now. Every further project will take advantage of the site list and take targets from there if nothing is left for it to proceed (remaining targets).
    Importing URLs directly to a project is always the fastest method.
  • OK, Thank you,

but
    "The "show remaining targets" is for all directly imported sites."

it has 2,000,000 on multiple tier 3 projects without importing any sites directly, all 2 million are in the "identified" global site list for those engines.

it shows 2,000,000 by -

all tier 3 use the same criteria.

"Every further project will take advantage of the site list and take targets from there if nothing is left for it to proceed (remaining targets)."

"(remaining targets)" - i thought remaining targets was for all urls directly imported into the project ?

"Every further project will take advantage of the site list and take targets from there if nothing is left for it to proceed (remaining targets)."

PLEASE CLARIFY
    are you saying you should import into project by -

GSA WILL DO THESE FIRST - THEN GO AND DO EVERYTHING IN THE GLOBAL SITE LISTS AFTER IT HAS FINISHED DOING THE URLS IN THE IMPORTED .TXT FILE ?

• I just checked

"The "show remaining targets" is for all directly imported sites."

all the projects that have not had any sites directly imported into them still show the amounts by -

this number is the urls in the .txt file imported & it is also the number of urls in the "global identified" sites

i know because i split the files into 370,000 & before import it had "0"
    then 370,000 after import

& because all the tiered projects (same criteria for all tiers) had roughly the same amount doing
    without impoting any sites

• sorry, there was another question i meant to ask as part of this.

if we are importing a .txt list directly into a project

if the project has a limit of links to build at top under
    project>options
    i.e. pause project for 10 days after building 10 links

what will happen to the rest of the potential sites it finds, will it just wait following the directions under
    project>options ?

will it just wait following the directions under
    project>options ?

yes
  • PLEASE CLARIFY
    are you saying you should import into project by -

GSA WILL DO THESE FIRST - THEN GO AND DO EVERYTHING IN THE GLOBAL SITE LISTS AFTER IT HAS FINISHED DOING THE URLS IN THE IMPORTED .TXT FILE ?

If you want it to process every target you have, then importing it to the project is the fastest method.
    Because if projects take targets from site lists, then in a random order...it might even get targets it tired to post before. So you never know if the project is done with it.
  • ok, that was much nearer the answer i was looking for,
    i did'nt know it took the sites from site lists randomly, i wanted to process all the sites once, then (it is set to retry 3 times each) delete all the site lists except verified, including the identified list,

because i thought it was pointless keeping site lists that it would fail at etc.

i will import everything into the seperate projects that have the different types of platforms/engines in each one.