Skip to content

SER Engines or GSA Bug?

edited December 2019 in Bugs
Just ran into the strangest of bugs:

I set up an entirely new project by hand for only [SERE] Social Profiles. Unlike what I would normally do, I use no proxies and  only one email - because these are profiles to be set up with the real client name, photo etc. 
Lo and behold. some engines use other emails - emails that aren't mine: elizameaux@gmx.de for mixcloud or harryemerson@gmail.com for disqus.  kamimclaurin@animail.net for houzz and maybe more, because then I stopped it. 

I often use gmx or gmail. so I double checked those addresses, they are definitely not mine and are not used in any other project. 

WTF? 

No wonder the registration rate is so low. In a normal project, with lots of other variables going on, I would have never seen this. 

Guys, if you use SEREngines, please check with one of your projects. Needless to say, I will report this to James as well, because I'm pretty sure this is an error in the engine.

PS Some other engines register ok e.g. yelp, calameo or vimeo

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    some engines don't need email verification so SER/Serengines might use a random email for this.
  • edited December 2019
    Yes, just received this information from James, too. Thank you. Nevertheless, it doesn't work with these fake emails, either. Every single one failed. 
    Correction: not true, mixcloud succeeded.

• edited December 2019
    Thought about it: the problem is that the engine assumes I want random data.
    But I have unchecked "Randomize" at Login. I want a specific login.
    In that case using random emails makes no sense. 
    The first random email might succeed, but the next runs into "username already used".

I also miss a field to enter the first and given name. And I get a random name which I don't want. 
    that login is the user name/password. If an account needs email, it either uses that email you have in project options or a random one..
  • @Sven I understand that. All I'm saying is that it doesn't give me full control. If I want to have accounts look in a special way - with a specific name, email and username - all branded. 
    The system is geared for mass, not for quality in that respect. 
    OK, but it would need a change in scripting engines...nothing I can do really without breaking tons of other things for other customers.
  • Understood. Not demanding anything. Just becoming aware of that limitation.