Skip to content

Restoring My Old Project Data: How Does This Function Work?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited August 2019 in Need Help
Hello GSA Friends...

I am trying to restore projects. I know which files I need to replace in each project folder.

But how does it work? If I RESTORE from a backup, will it append those older projects, or overwrite my current projects with the same name?

I have noticed that some of my project data is not right.  Characters that are not used in English (for other language Comments, etc.) are appearing as ?? when Testing the projects. So I need to find an older backup where it's still OK.

I should have fixed this a while ago, but just getting to much on my list now.

Anyway, I have backups from all different points in time.

Just need to know how RESTORE works.  Thanks for the help.

I will need to copy the old project data to somewhere else, as it's all packed, IF it just overwrites. Then, I can re-load the most current backup, and drag the messed up files from the copy (non-packed) restored old project to the new.

Otherwise, if SER just appends what I've restored, I can  just drag them folder-to-folder, and then delete my old backup set.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    the files are always overwritten. But *.ser backup files are actually zip files so you can as well unzip them manually and decide what files to keep.

all you need to restore are probably *.prj and *.article* files to check the encoding issue.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    OK, thanks for the fast response, Sven! :) Always much appreciated!!!

I didn't know how they were compressed, so I'' just unzip and then drag-n-drop the corrupted files.

This has been on my to-do list for waaaay too long. :(

It'll be good to finally get this fixed and move along.