Skip to content

"keywords" field - best practices questions

edited February 2013 in Other / Mixed
Aloha folks,

I read somewhere on the forum here, that it is good to use lots of keywords to got more successful and verified submissions, even 100 of keywords. Makes sense, but I got a few questions about how that works.

Let's say that I am targetting "best product" as my main anchor text for a projects. Now there are many long tail variation to be found, such as "best product 2013", "best product for home use", "best product under $100", "best blue product", and on and on and on - you get the picture. So my question is - is there any point in putting all those long tail variations into the keyword field, or all will GSA SER just pick them all up anyway because they are all just extensions of "best product"?

Tagged:

Comments

• Do not take this to be thorough answer as I have posed a similar question of what are "best practices".

My thoughts are:

1. Do NOT use "keywords" for anchor text in Project_Settings->Data:"Use keywords as anchor text".
    2. Then, "keywords" are just the keyphrases used for scraping.
    3. When you don't need to post on sites/pages that are related you your subject, you could use a dictionary of words or a top 1000 google search phrase list.
    4. When you do need to post to related site/pages FOR SEO, related keyphases are a better solution than the extended search phrases you are suggesting.  I have been using keywordmappro ($17) for this purpose.

MORE DISCLAIMER: Both the "long tail" approach and the "related keyphrase" approach lead to diminishing returns.  The results of the searches overlap each other much more than dictionary searches.  If you niche is small enough to need both, you need to use a dictionary anyway.

It is only my humble opinion that related terms win with separate anchor text when used for SEO purposes.

• Hi there- thanks for taking the time to answer :-D

Your answers cleared up my questions. Yep, I always pick my own anchor text and secondary anchor text, never the "use keywords as anchor text" option.

I do tend to pick out 10 to 20 keywords (for the "keywords" field) per project, all niche specific or very close, but I noticed they only go so far. I think I will start branching then to other non related keywords to increase links.

As a curiosity, how many verified links to you typically pull in per project, when the project is just backlinking 1 URL?
  • I have a wild definition of "project".  I am making

• a high quality contextual project to a single URL or group of URLS using precise anchor text
      • a high quality Tier 2 with matching anchort text to the tier 1
        • (That matching anchor text is one of the awesome features of GSA SER btw)
    • A low quality tier 1 with higher volume, lots of generic anchors, and stuff to conceal my HQ tree.
    • A low quality tier 2 that uses targets both the HQ and LQ tier 1s above.

If I could stay organized and spend the time, I would Supplement HQ and LQ paths with (related scrapes vs dictionaries) and (transient links vs slowly moderated links).  That might mean 2^3=8 tier 1s; so I don't really do that.

The answer to the question you did NOT ask is, "by having separate projects to find relevant targets for the niche and for finding lots of links."  The question would have been, "How do I maximize my penetration of my niche?"

I am not a link counter, but I do pay attention to link velocity and link lifespan.  For ranking high domain authority items on domains like YouTube, I intend to maintain 20-30 links per day.  Lately, I am not verifyign them until i launch a following tier.  For my sites, I have been using SER as a supplement to Tier 1s from other sources.

Today, I will try to make my HQ tier 1s with Ultimate Demon.

I have been viewing SER as a tool to maintain link velocity until recently.

DISCLAIMER: Darren, I am still looking for people on this forum to share their best practices with me.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Also - what you guys are missing in the discussion is the overlap in keyword results. e.g. "best product" and "Best product 2013" will both get a MASSIVE overlap in the SE's. 

So if you have too much overlap, all SE spends its time doing is scraping and rejecting them since the results have already be parsed!
  • Thanks Alex - that was one piece of info I was trying to establish in my OP.

Having used GSA a bit more now, I can see that it is best to just put in "product" name and leave it at that, and pass up on all the overlap.