Skip to content

X-Spinner Bug: Not Using "Protected Words" Feature

It seems like GSA CG completely ignores the "Enable Protected Words" feature of X-Spinner. This is extremely important as if it is not working it spins every single word. There are some words or phrases that we simply want to not be processed while spinning, like important keywords we're after or some that produce obvious illogical spinned words.

The "Enable Protected Words" in X-spinner works by setting them in X-Spinner and ticking the option: http://prntscr.com/eytf0v

I can tell that the bug is on the GSA CG side because the feature works fine in SEO CM and with it's internal test spinner as well. So it seems like GSA CG ignores that function somehow.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    just rechecked the API and I couldn't find any issue.
    I use "...&protectw=word1,word2,..." as parameter. Maybe the API is not correct here and the other tools use something else?
  • Where can I set that parameter inside GSA CG?

Btw, in my experience that parameter doesn't work. The actual protected words are set inside the spinner software(X-Spinner). Maybe the protectw parameter shouldn't be used?

Their protect words option has been wonky ever since I remember, both in X-Spinner and Spinnerchief. It works the same way. You have to set the words you want to protect in the software (X-Spinner or Spinnerchief). It doesn't accept the parameter as an API for some reason.
    hmm i can try removing spin's for the protected words after spinning...that should fix it for all spinners, but i really would like that XSpinner actually fixes their issues if there is one.

An chance to debug that on your pc, as i don't have xspinner license?
  • Sure, I can provide access to my PC. PM me so we can work out the details.
  • They are about to release SpinnerChief5 next week. You may want to check with them if that's actually will happen before you get your hands dirty with this.
    latest version should fix things on "protected words". They seem to have used a different paramater as described in their API.
    Also latest version is trying to protect the words itself (unspins parts again after using a service).
  • edited April 2017
    @Sven that is an excellent job of you adding the unspinning way of protecting words, really genius way to solve this issue universally.

I just have one remark of how it works. Currently you need to place the words you want protected in your keywords field. I think this is a bit unpractical as the words you want to protect may not be the same as the keywords you want to use to scrape with.

Not sure, but maybe a better place to add protected words would be to create new action called Protected Words at Filter/Modify: http://prntscr.com/f1g6kn . I think that belongs there, but there should be a better way to add them faster in bulk, like a text area field and add each one on new line.
    just added it for next update.
  • Sven!  I have spins every single word for russian too!

• The text is similar to deliriumimage
    @stopradar well what does that mean? good or bad? Even though I had Russian longer in school than English, I completely forgot about that languages I have to admit. So please help me if thats not what you expect.
    I used your file and for each line I added the content to the new spin db.
  • Sven! I will correct the Russian dictionary of synonyms and check the spin again.
    So the data you sent me is not correct?
    Send me the corrections please once done.