Skip to content

Feb 2017 G Algo Update

124»

Comments

• @shaun at first quick glance it looks like a fair amount are alive. Will try to sort some time this weekend to do a deep dive re: indexing. 

I am sensing for me anyway, that this is the reason for my MS hit. The difference in data set from when I had GA previously and to it re-installed yesterday is significant. Almost like two separate MS data sets. 

I am going to take a deep page that got hit, and crank a bunch of diverse links at it this weekend and see if that moves the needle. Could it be so simple as that I just need to backfill the wiped links....
  • Here's what I've done. Maybe I've moved a bit too soon but 30% of my anchors were "Best Keyword" which also happens to be my brand so in hindsight that was a bit out of control and probably needed fixing anyway.

Step 1. Reduce keyword density to ~1%.
    Step 2. Change internal anchors to LSI. Only 22 pages on the site and all them had Keyword anchors pointing back to the home page. 
    Step 3. Use RankerX to build ~30 premium social network sites with LSI and generic anchor text. I noticed I had lost some of the original RankerX links I built when I first launched the site.
    Step 4. Use Money Robot to make a DAS project with aged Web 2.0s. This is around 20 links to the website directly with interlinked Web 2.0s on the lower tier.
    Step 5. 27 Niche relevant blog comments with SER. Hand spun comments, keyword must be present setting in SER, set to 5 verified links per day with generic anchors.
    Step 6. Drip index the links using Authority Indexer. AI has a 90-99% index rate and is perfect for stuff like this.
    Step 7. Have Google re-crawl my site to pick up the new internal anchors and KW density.

So far we are making progress but no full recovery.

I'm still #1 on Bing and Yahoo so I get around 700 visitors per day from there but that's not enough to sell. I started running Facebook ads to try to sell more but I'm only making $50-$70 per day in profit from this. 

I'm considering copying the site and doing a 301 via htaccess on each individual page. I have a feeling this might work but I've never had to do it before. 

Maybe I'll give it another week and then take more drastic measures. I might up the budget on Facebook and see if I can get more sales that way. 

• @arc323 me too, it's definitely over-optimisation internal and external anchors. Saw two biggest keywords which dropped out of the SERPs for weeks pop straight back in after changes (maybe 3-4 days later didn't check every day). Much lower positions than previously but something to work with at least.
  • shaunshaun https://www.youtube.com/ShaunMarrs
    @arc323

I have been looking into this for alot longer than I had planned this weekend and I agree it is anchor text based.

Basically, I went over a friends site that had been effected by Fred but only on some of its pages suggesting it is not a domain-wide problem. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the only initial thing we noticed about his site was the pages that had been hit had much less of their T1 links indexed in Google than the pages that had not been hit.

As AHRefs shows its anchor cloud from its own crawler rather than what is actually indexed in Google the pages anchor cloud looked fine. We manually went over some of the reports for the pages that has been hit and anchor text quickly became an issue with the pages that Google had indexed for the sites T1 showing massive over optimization for the page.

He has resubmitted his T1 links to his indexer as well as spend out some new T1 blasts to bring that down. I also plan to do this on my own personal site that had been hit and I will report back if I see any changes.
  • Hi Shaun, what type of content creator are you using for your T1 links?

Hope it's okay to ask.

Thanks!
    @bisnitch currentley Kontent Machine but I will move over to the GSA tool if I can get a method working.
  • @shaun - Thanks for the update. I made some links to smooth the anchors. I'm getting around 700 visitors per day but only from Bing and Yahoo. I went from the 60s to #21 for the big money keyword. I even added some really nice PBN links and still haven't fully recovered. Although I did do $200 in sales today, it's still not the same. 

I'm considering a 301. I was thinking to copy the site and the 301 via htaccess on each page. I'm wondering if this will work. Do you have any experience with doing 301s to avoid an algorithmic penalty?
  • its really weird, none of my sites r hit and i did the same things as u guys. any one not getting hit? perhaps this is limited to a group of random sites and while a real algo in nature, also a pr stunt by google again?
  • Well within one group of my niches.
    I made 12 subdomains, some are #1 still.
    One STILL keeps going from #1 > 60+ > #1
    Not sure what's going on there....

But then my niche #4 has now bounced 100+
    Now it's back to #4....

I'm gonna send LSI from SERE and see if it helps, only LSI.
  • edited March 2017
    @shaun

One of my 12 niches, never even moved into top 100.
    Now I just checked and it's shot to #20

Now within all the subdomains of this website, only 2 are #1
    I checked this one which had a huge leap, and it has more nofollow than others.

I checked all my bounced niches, they all have 90%+ Dofollow.

This niche that bounced to #20 has 69% Dofollow & 31% Nofollow.

Could this be a flag also for a reason to bounce people, could all that dofollow and less nofollow be a reason they bounced?
    Can anyone check theirs that bounced, the do/nofollow %
    @Anth20 I guess it could be but I have always tried to use do follow only links in all of my tiers. I am literally typing up an intro post for my black hat case study now and I am going to start including no follow links in its tiers as it is a footprint and it would be easy for Google to adjust their algo to detect it.

That said, what are your anchors like for the project? Sorry if you have already answered this, I am talking to about 15-20 different people about their Fred sites right now.
  • from what i remember, 14% was the generic domain, then lots of others like 4% main kw, 4% lsi's etc (each kw)
  • @shaun I think my LSI only is helping it stay at 1 more than 60+
    http://puu.sh/v4kzm/ea44e59071.png
    @Anth20 what kind of LSI anchor text ratio do you have?
  • @shaun I just have about 50 keywords, and have them on 100% in LSI section on GSA.

6% maybe too high for main kw, so when more LSI is dropping that, it must be helping but also adding value being an LSI keyword.
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    And with no anchor ? :)
  • Friend of mine who was a editor in dmoz.org told me that the site got hit by Google update aswell...and the hole site is now closed.
  • redraysredrays Las Vegas
    It got crushed by panda years ago: http://www.seobook.com/dmoz-shut-down