Skip to content

Help With Tokens & Bug

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited November 2012 in Need Help
%random_anchor_text% - 
1) Does this also use the anchor texts from secondary anchor text field?
2) The test feature doesn't allow you to see a sample of what it pulls. It just shows the token.

Tagged:

Comments

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    as well as %random_url% doesn't update when you press "Test"
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

1) Does this also use the anchor texts from secondary anchor text field?

No that uses only the anchor from URL or the one in the project edit field.

2) The test feature doesn't allow you to see a sample of what it pulls. It just shows the token.

True, I might have to add that for upcoming version as well.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven - since we're looking for a random anchor, would it be possible for it to also include the secondary anchors? It's just that it seems that you target 1 main anchor and then run a number of secondary anchors per project, so it would make sense for %random_anchor% to also include the secondary anchors to choose from?

Or is there a token that I could use that could use either main or secondary?

Current setup is:
    1) 1 x Main Anchor
    2) 5 x Secondary Anchors
    3) 1500 x Keywords

This would be very useful!
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Or even better - can we use a token for a %random_secondary_anchor% - this would solve it very very nicely! It will allow some good customised comments, about me's, etc! 
    Well the secondary anchor is used for %anchor_text% and you should use that anyway once. It would make no sense to use the secondary anchor again. %random_anchor_text% is really the anchor text and nothing else.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    What I am trying to do is create a number of more contextual links. 

So something like:
    I'm a fan of blah, blah, %random_anchor% and contribute to <a href="%URL%">%anchor%</a> and am also passionate about %random_anchor% blah blah blah.

This way Google sees the surrounding contextual text with my other anchors. 

The issue is...you say it only takes from the anchor text field, not the secondary anchor text field.

Not sure about others but it makes sense to keep each anchor/keyword you are targetting in it's own project and then use the secondary anchor text variations to get related diversity. This means you generally only have 1 or 2 anchor texts, and a larger number of secondary anchor variations and so %random_anchor% always generates the same anchors. I don't want to have to add in more anchor texts, as this dilutes my anchors actually used for the project. 

Is there anyway to have a token that chooses a %random_secondary_anchor%? This would be very neat and allow us to create some well written, contextual comments, about me's, forum profiles, etc. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Would anyone else find use in %random_secondary_anchor%?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven - not sure how hard it would be but would it be possible to have a token for only %random_secondary_anchor%?
    Thats impossible as it would than not apply to the percentage but has always to insert the secondary anchor in there. I don't see a use in that.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    The use would be in customising spintax for ALL fields. Forum, About me, blog comments, etc. 

Since you know your anchor and your secondary are limited words you could write some very nice comments that are useful for humans.

As mentioned, normally you have 1 anchor per project and then 10 or so secondary anchors. Since there is only 1 anchor, using a random option doesn't work too well...it always picks the same 1 anchor :-)

That's why it would be nice if it also chose a random of the secondary. 

So you could write:
    "I'm passionate about %random_anchor%, %URL% and also work on %random_anchor%."

Currently it would just repeat the same anchor. 

I'm not keen to dilute my anchors (have too many) as I'd rather keep each anchor I'm targetting in it's own project.

Anyways...I'll try and find a workaround