Skip to content

secure license mode?

I would like GSA SER and CB not to show my name. Currently it shows my name in the software title and when I click on help -> about: "Registered to: <myname>"

Is it possible to have an 'secure mode'? That simply doesn't show this info and preferably encrypts the info in the files/registry if that isn't already encrypted. It could be simply an option in advanced options.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    NO
  • I don't understand why you wrote the "no" with big capital letters? Surely in 'these days' it's not unnatural to not want to generate a big online footprint.

I would also like to request this, at least the feature to not have your name showing at the top of the GSA/CB window.

whats the problem in having your name on a licensed program? The only reason why it would be is to share the license, rent it or some other illegal thing.

The license is for you and only you.

• Some of us are just more concerned with privacy than others I guess. I just don't like the idea of my name being out there on a 'dodgy VPS' that's blasting automated backlinks ;P

I'm sure we aren't the only ones. An option to set a nickname or something would be greatly appreciated.
    Well simply buy some good VPS that cares about privacy of there users? If you are on such a "dodgy VPS" it's you who doesn't care about security either I would say.
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    The name on the software does not show on any website that SER registers on. The name is ONLY shown when looking at the software from inside your VPS, and only you should have access to that VPS so I'm not sure why you are so worried.

Every piece of software that I have purchased in my life has my name as Registered and Licenced to My Name.
  • The fact that I don't want my name showing doesn't mean someone else is using my license. It does mean I want it to be private in case something does happen.
  • edited March 2014
    @poempiedoem - you want your name to be private and that is ok. Even if the name were not showing in the title it would be linked to you as the program has to be registered. However, hiding the name will increase the incentive of people trying to abuse the software. It is already dirt-cheap for what it does, so I can fully understand Sven taking this little visual precaustion.
    If something does happen to your server or so there is not much @Sven can do. These are your choices and you should make them responsibly.
  • maybe a unique ID like a code or number to identify each copy will do the work
  • this is just unwanted work.Like Sven said, buy a VPS which respects your privacy