Skip to content

@Sven Add Better Proxy Feature

edited November 2012 in Feature Requests
Hi @sven, I wanted to ask can you please add a better proxy feature on the next update?

The problem is, I keep getting account closed on my server because my host dose not like it when the sever ip ends up on stop forum spam. When I use private proxy's this dose not happen but the thing is there is a huge down side to using private proxy's. The major problem with private proxy's is that google ends up banning them way to quick and therefore the program performs poorly since if the campaign is set to only post on lets say PR4 sites and above, since the private proxy's are banned and therefore cannot be used to check PR this is wasting a huge amount of time since GSA will continue to search for sites not knowing that it could of potentially bypassed the requested sites but since the proxies are banned (maybe for 3 hours or so) GSA will be ineffective for up to 3h. 

Now, I tried using public proxies yesterday and I checked stop forum spam today and my IP is listed there. I set GSA to automatically search for proxies but im guessing it dose not even bother to check whether its anonymous or not?

Anyway, the solution seems quite simple. If you add an option right here (or anywhere you see fit): http://screencast.com/t/JwQlH5Ks0Cu called Private/Public or something along those lines. You could then add another option or modify the existing one: http://screencast.com/t/LfklgZ3T to say "Check PR With Public Proxies" and you could add more options like "Scrape Using Public Proxies" and "Scrape Using Private Proxies" and "Post Using Public Poxies" etc... You have more than enough room to add them here: http://screencast.com/t/7ieg4BWtrz0.

So basically, the user would have the option to use public proxies for only PR checking and then use private proxies for posting (which will keep people from getting spam complaints) etc...

This seems like a long awaited feature and without its like driving a Ferrari that's stuck in first gear :( 
Tagged:

Comments

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Just make sure you deselect the feature "Automatically disable bad proxies" and it won't show your IP. Otherwise, if all proxies go bad, your IP will get used. 
  • But couldn't my ip still be shown if GSA decides to use a transparent proxy? I don't see any option to select only anon proxy's.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Google the forum for TRANS proxies...there is quite a discussion about it. 
  • I did, and just by reading this thread alone: https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/609/private-proxy-question/p1

its advised to say away from them as one of the users even said "using a TRAN proxy is like using no proxy"
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Sorry but thats wrong. A Trans prosy or CONNECT proxy as others might call it is something that is most likely not giving your IP away.

Because after you connected successfully to it (by a HTTP-CONNECT header), you can tunnel almost anything over this protocol not just http traffic. So it's very unlikely that your IP is "leaked". Thats different on WEB proxies as they only work with http-protocols and the proxies might add additional header variables before posting to the desired site. Some add the original IP in the header which some sites will see and react according to that (seeing it's a proxy).

• edited November 2012
    Ok, I understand now.

@sven But this problem still should be fixed regarding having the option to use 2 set of proxy's, one for posting and one for scraping.

Private proxy's suck for checking PR ( since if one ip makes to many PR checks google will block it.)  and public proxy's suck for posting due to the low success rates but together the program can function much better like you intended if private proxy's could be set for posting/scraping and public proxy's could be set for ONLY PR checking. The program would have 2x more success rate without additional threads running.
    ;)
  • Nice feature Robby , I hope seven will implement this soon. It's a standard feature in No hand SEO ... they have a set of proxies for posting only and another set for searching / pr checking. I think this option is a must have in GSA.
  • How to check if proxy is banned by google?
  • +1 for this feature. Might even improve our verification results.
  • We absolutely need to see this feature added. It would save a ton of headache.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    [FEATURE REQUEST] On Proxy Checker - to have a dropdown of 5 different URL's for proxy to be tested against. Not just bing. This way you get a better idea if your proxies are actually working. 
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    + 1,000
  • I don't mean to beat this proxy thing to death but in the status bar it said I had 10 proxies.

I was having trouble with proxies in another program on the same vps so I stopped ser and tested the proxies and they all 404. So I would assume SER was using my vps ip address to scrape, post, etc...

I thought SER checked the proxies to make sure they worked every so often. Is this not the case?
  • You need to have the check "automatically disable bad proxies on use"
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Sven -Can this easily be done?

[FEATURE REQUEST] On Proxy Checker - to have a dropdown of 5 different URL's for proxy & an ALL option to be tested against. Not just bing. This way you get a better idea if your proxies are actually working. 
  • He really needs to add a 'check pr with public proxies' feature.
  • +1 for that Sam,  but at the same time it would slow down GSA or Use up more resources to constantly scan while also at the same time posting / scraping / verifying.   So it's kind of a trade off. 
  • @sven Do you plan on inputting any of these suggestions?
    edited November 2012
    Not right now as it is kind of difficult to change the way everything is coded. But I have it on the list.
  • @Sven or anyone else

How can one MAKE SURE that their VPS IP is NEVER revealed using GSA SER settings ?
    is that possible ? doable ?

I read @globalgoogler's response
    Just make sure you deselect the feature "Automatically disable bad
    proxies" and it won't show your IP. Otherwise, if all proxies go bad,
    your IP will get used. 

is that true ?

but if I bad proxies are not disabled then I might be working with bad proxies and slowing the process down
    or not ?

I realized today that my working proxies were 0 for a few minutes and that my IP was used and then I found myself on a report on stopforumspam ....

how does one solve such situation ?
    Well thats actually true. You can disable the aut-disable option for bad proxies and switch settings to find proxies more often and e.g. test all proxies after the proxy searcher was finished.
  • @Sven
    is that too much to ask to have an option to halt posting or all operations if no proxies are working or found

otherwise this is another reason to sit around and babysit GSA SER !!!

will something like this be ENOUGH to say that our IP will NEVER be revealed or send in a way or another ?
    (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere)

thanks
  • Damn, be careful guys.

I updated GSA yesterday, and for some reason, 6 proxies stopped working. I had enabled the option to replace bad proxies automatically and as a result, my IP has been flagged 7 times since yesterday. As I'm hosted in OVH, I hope they don't mind some entries in the StopForumSpam site. I think I'll be fine as long as my IP is not blacklisted in spamhaus.
  • ronron SERLists.com

Yeah it happened to be back in the beginning. I just think we need a box that says:

"Never use my IP to post. If no proxies are available, stop everything."

• @ron
    That would be nice to have cc @sven :)
  • Guys,

Use a VPN to cover your IP always. Any VPN costs $10 month (a pittance considering all the other expenses and tools and in comparison to what we stand to make in IM). If not a paid one then at least a free one like Hotspot Shield.

I use VPN to cover my IP and on top of that I use private proxies for all tools.
  • @tumpien Good call. What VPN company do you use?
    Does the VPN keep the same IP or does it allow you to switch every once in a while like once a month?
  • @tumpien I would like to know also
    @CreditDoc I use Hide My Ass but not for posting. A few complains and they will deactivate your account.
  • @hyde I bought a year subscription to HMA but it seems the servers are slow.  If I do a speed test and select the best performers, thats good for a day or 2 but then they start to slow down.  The other issue I found is my proxy service needs my IP to "connect" to the proxies.  That makes switching IP's more work.  (Everytime an IP is switched you have to login to proxy service to provide that)  I'm thinking about getting a fast private VPN