Skip to content

7.80 Update has once again broken saving verified engines to list

this was recently fixed, but the 7.80 update has broke it once again.  GSA search engine ranker is once again not saving found engines to the lists .  This is the 2nd time this has done this recently, I think it would be a great idea if GSA search engine ranker had an option to roll back to a previous version. 

Comments

• It was fixed with version 7.79, and rebroke with version 7.80  
  • I've been testing various engines all day, and have no problems with SER saving to either identified, submitted or verified lists. Are you sure there are no read/write issues with your directories and you're running SER as admin?
  • 110% sure it is not an issue with file permissions or not running as an admin
  • Here's a video showing you it ran as administrator, and also just to prove it, opening the same file in a text editor, typing bogus letters ,and saving it without the text editor running  as an administrator.   This is a problem with the program, and not with my permissions or administrator privileges. 

This is why I think there should be a roll back option, if something like this happens it'd be awesome if I could roll back to the previous version so I don't have to shut it down completely until a solution is found.   The support is fast here, and the updates are even faster, but it's still 1 -  2 days before I can resume using the program each time this happens which gets frustrating when it happens back to back like this. 

proves this, going back to sleep, video should be done processing in a few minutes
  • Another great idea might be to show what the updates change before clicking the update button, because I really don't use this like most people use it, I only use it as a scraper and not as a poster, I think once this is fixed I'm just going to stop updating it until there are changes to the search engines it uses. 
  • It's working fine for me...

If you want to keep previous working versions of SER, here's what you can do.

Do NOT update from within SER. Quit SER, download the lastest version from,

http://search-engine-ranker.gsa-online.de/

to your hard disk, and install it from there. You can rename the file name with a version number.

To check whats the latest updates and changes before you update SER, here's what I do. I install the latest version to another folder, i.e. I have two copies of SER on the same computer, run the 2nd copy, and check the latest updates. If I like what I see, I run the installation on the 1st copy.

Hope this helps...

• You can also always view the SER changelog by clicking the link at the top of the form.
  • Thanks @cherub, I never knew that...
  • Whoops, that should have been 'link at the top of the forum'
  • It's too late now, does anyone have the 7.79 version and I just will not update again?
  • Just updated to 7.82, still the same thing, it does not record site lists anymore for me. 

I'd also like to point out I am using a custom engine, are you using custom engines, or default engines Olve1954?  that might make a difference.

And again I've changed nothing with this computer, all I did was updated GSA from 7.79 to 7.80, that is when it stopped saving lists again.   That's all this comptuer does is scrapes and scrapes and scrapes. 

Does anyone have the 7.79 version?   If I can find this I'll just stop updating it as I cannot afford to have this happen, it completely shuts my entire operation down until the issue is resolved. 
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    Is it only a few engines doing this or all?
  • i'm running a test with forum posts now, I'll tell you in a second. 
  • It's not updating the site list for forum engines for failed, success, identified, or anything.  have no idea why this is happening.
    For me anyways, things seem to be working fine. Atleast I hope they are. With me running a service that provides a monthly list, if SER is not saving everything, i'm in trouble I think.
  • What OS do you have?  I'm on windows 7 64 bit, what you do is open the folder where it saves lists, run the program for a while, and then sort your saved lists by last date modified (If you're on a windows enviornment) if they are updated recently then it's working for you. 
    edited March 2014
    Yes I see some folders have been updated today but not all.

I'm on a Windows Server.

UPDATE:

I started running version 7.69 just after my first post above. Just looked at my folder again for my verified and now almost all files in there have their last changed date to today. So I think there is something wrong. Man I was running these newer versions for a few days. No telling how many sites never got saved.
  • See it's happening to you to the, there is something wrong with 7.80. 
  • Just checked my verified and identified folder. Most files are just recently updated. So it's working fine for me.

I'm on Win Server 2008 R2, and no custom engines.

@F0l2saken, check your project's "Show left Target URLs", and see if your urls are in there.

• I don't use this like that, there are no target urls for me, I just use it to scrape sites that i input a footprint for, and then record the sites it uses to the identified sites list.   Trevor_Bandura is experiencing the same issues, so there is a problem somewhere between the 7.79 update and the 7.80 update. 

I did check the forum project I was using as a test, and there are target urls there.
  • @F0l2saken, I did ask Sven a similar question, and he said during the registration process (since you're scraping new sites, they're in the registration process) the urls are not yet saved in the verified folder, until SER makes a successfull submission. He did ask me to look in "Show left Target URLs".

I checked my left targets, and I see funny entries like these,

http://vitskavali.in/alumni/register/#BuddyPress;1;C05CCD36-7046BEB3;32;;
    http://vitskavali.in/alumni/register/#BuddyPress;1;C05CCD36-58E866C8;32;;
    http://vitskavali.in/alumni/register/#BuddyPress;1;C05CCD36-81FB8803;32;;

with special codes at the end of the urls. These are automatically inserted by SER.

So, I'm just guessing that your newly scrapped urls are in there... "waiting". So, if you can customise your engine to "immediately" post an article or link, then SER will save the url in your identified and verified folder.
  • Interesting, there are thousands of urls waiting in the que like you say, but why did this work before the 7.80 update and not work after?     I do not post anything with GSA, I don't use it like that, all I use it do to is scrape sites and identify them.  I'll play around with it and see if I can come up with anything. 
  • edited March 2014
    Oh my, like 300,000 urls in the one. 

I will attach a link to the one I'm using, this did save sites to the site list prior to the 7.80 update

http://www.hbktechnologies.com/Wordpressfind2.ini
  • >but why did this work before the 7.80 update, only @Sven knows... :-/
  • edited March 2014
    The purpose of that engine is to only go out and find wordpress sites, and then save them to the identified sites list.  I got that from someone on this forum that uses the same thing to find wordpress sites.  It doesn't post anything and is not intended to. 

• Sigh, i have to completely shut this off.

I was hoping I could just export target urls but nope, I watched the Show left urls and the number just keeps decreasing and it saves nothing to any list.  It was at 5000 when I started watching it, now it's down to 4937 and has not wrote to any file, failed, success, verified, anything.   It just deletes the urls without saving them. 
  • Does anyone have the 7.79 version that I can install and just not update it anymore?  
  • I used way back machine, installed version 7.62, and it is now saving lists again.   That at least confirms it to me, something is wrong with it from 7.80 on. 
  • Sigh, I just can't win with this program, 7.62 eats through public proxies 1000 times faster than the later versions did, this is getting so frustraiting i want to rip my hair our.   One version doesn't record lists properly, the earlier version is tearing through proxies too fast. 
  • PMed you...