Skip to content

Major Bug using the Catchall Email Method.

Anyone using the catchall email method on your web hosting?
I tried to investigate a lot about this matter and i'm really surprised on the result.
Test? All successful.
Blacklist check? All successful.

The messages are received in my default e-mail address. The messages are marked as READ so it means, it was already opened before.
- I tried to click some verification links in my inbox and it says messages like "Congratulations! Your email is verified successfully!". (It means, the verification link wasn't clicked before)
- I tried to click the verification link again just to make sure, but it says messages like "Error. The email is already verified." (It means the account is now verified)
I should be getting the second error (on my first click) if all the verification links are really clicked by the GSA SER. In short, GSA SER opens/reads the message in my inbox but it doesn't click the verification links!

Any thoughts please? I think this is why my submitted and verified links has a VERY HUGE gap. :(

Comments

• Are you using proxies for "E-Mail checking" ?...
  • No, i'm not. Are you using catchall email method too? Please try to click the verification links in your inbox.
  • edited March 2014
    Yes, I'm using the catchall method, and I'm also using private proxies for "E-Mail Checking".

I just checked my inbox, and most of the emails are marked as read, but I cannot find any verification emails. That's because I checked "Delete message when verification link was found". Hence, I cannot verify your problem.

But, I'm having problems getting enough Social Bookmarking links (used to be easy), and I'm not sure where the problem is. Captchas? Proxies? or E-mail verification?

• edited March 2014
    I have a hunch that it is because of e-mail verification.
    Do you think it's really necessary to use private proxies on e-mail checking? I'm using my own hosting so I can't see any reason why I need to..
  • edited March 2014
    When you verify your e-mails without proxies, it reveals your real IP.

SER downloads the emails from your own hosting, then clicks on (or visits) those verification links. Hence, it will reveal your real ip, if no proxies are used.

I was running SER on my home PC, hence I need to hide my real ip. Now that I've transfered SER to a VPS, I think it's safe to disable it (i.e. not use proxies).

I've unchecked "Delete message when verification link was found" on a few projects, and I'll check back tomorrow.
  • edited March 2014
    I also checked "Delete message when verification link was found" before but for the sake of my investigation, I tried to disable it to do some double checking. And yea, what i've stated above was my conclusion..
    GSA SER reads my inbox but it didn't click any of those verification links at all :(
    Please do and leave some feedback. Thanks in advance!
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    please note that not all verification links are clicked. some are saved and clicked on first login when submitting.
  • edited March 2014
    At the meantime, maybe @Sven can explain the inner workings of SER. Maybe there's a preset delay, between SER downloading the emails, and then visits them?

@ohohRaii, did you check recent emails, or those which are more than 2 days old?...

• edited March 2014
    Yes, I even checked very very old e-mails.
    I also clicked the links one by one and ALL of them says something like "Your account has been successfully verified!" but when I clicked it again, it says error message or the account is already verified.. :|
    Like this one: "We could not find the validation request you are attempting to verify. This is likely because you have already validated your account, or an administrator has validated your account for you. Please try to login with your registration details now."

I don't know if non-catchall email users also experience this one :(
  • Hi @Sven, during the accounts creation process (registration, verification, activation), will the urls be saved in the Global Verified Site List, even if no links are submitted yet?

@Olve1954 depends on the engines. For drupal e.g. the link is saved as it is used on 1st login.
  • @ohohRaii what is catchall email method? :D
  • I have similiar problems today and yesterday I am trying to register in biggest possible number of buddypress. Have nice database about 3000 domain. However after 2 days was able only to submit my data to around 2500 (using captcha breaker and death by captcha). But the biggest problem is that I have only 58 verified links. In my email account I count more than 800 emails with login data. So why only 58 verification? Is it possible to get this login data somehow from hotmail back to project?
  • Thanks @Sven, for your explanation...

@ohohRaii, do you use random email name like this?,

%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1-9999%@catchalldomain.com

What is your "Maximum accounts per site"? Options -> Scheduled Posting -> Allow posting on same site again.

• @Olve1954, Yes. Maximum accounts per site = 5.
  • I've avoided using random email names, coz if there is a bug in SER and it does not honor "maximum accounts per site = 5", SER can go off, creating thousands of accounts with new and random emails.

Looking at the .static files, where the usernames, passwords, emails are kept, I see it is a bit of a mess, and I really wonder how @Sven can keep track of how many accounts were created per site...

After running a new project for 4 days, my .static file ballons to 5Mb with tens of thousands of login info, some with missing emails and/or passwords. But, I've confidence @Sven will sort it out...

@ohohRaii, if I need 5 accounts per site, I'll setup 7 ~ 8 emails like this,

name01@catchalldomain.com
    name08@catchalldomain.com

That way, SER won't go off creating thousands of accounts. Most or all sites won't allow more than 1 account per email. And I don't share emails between projects...

• edited March 2014
    @Olve1954, Thanks for the nice tip. I'm sorry but, if I only need 5 accounts per site, why would I need to setup 8 emails? Please excuse me if I didn't understand it -.-
  • Yes, you can setup only 5 emails, but I always like a little bit extra, just in case.

SER will only use 5 out of the 8 emails to create 5 accounts on each site.
  • @Olve1954, tried to modify my emails but still same case. The verification links are not really clicked by the GSA SER :(
  • The new version v7.80 says "new: improved email verification". Try it out and see...

But Sven did mention,

>please note that not all verification links are clicked. some are saved and clicked on first login when submitting.

So, after downloading and saving your emails, SER will click on your verification links when it's doing submission. But, we won't know when that will happen...

it happens when it logs in !? See the left target urls list for a project...that link should be in it.