Skip to content

Crazy Yahoo Traffic - 1800 Visitors In One Hour

2»

Comments

• Yeah, got some traffic too in this style on tens of sites.

@namdas is right, visitors are from a "trending now" section, and it differs from country to country.
    Also it constantly changes, but if you look closely you can predict terms.
  • manubossmanuboss https://seorankhigher.net/service/
    whaou what a success story! keep banking my friend, i want to cry when i see this and see my website with only few trafic, i really wonder how you can only target bing and yahoo in gsa, except by selecting this SE in search engine research, i son't understand.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited February 2014

It is all in the approach @manuboss

You have to experiment to understand how each search engine reacts to your linkbuilding tactics.

Just like with G, you can do the same thing to 10 sites, and only 4 will make a move. That's the way things work.

@Crownvic - Thanks for the confirmation. @namdas gets this week's Analytics Award! 

• Wow, nice results @ron - 3 more days have passed since your last post here, is crazy traffic still coming in?

What I don't understand is if namdas is right and the majority of visitors came from that "trending now" box in the top right of the yahoo homepage...why were the search terms not visible? The "trending now" box has encrypted links but they just 301 to the yahoo search page and clicks from there shouldn't be encrypted anymore. Idk.

On another note, are you saying you're building links differently to rank in yahoo/bing than in google? When I check my ranks for some sites, they all rank easier in G than yahoo/bing. And for the few keywords in Y/B that I do rank for, traffic hasn't been great so far.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Yahoo/Bing work on a lag in some respects. With authority and ranking, it lags. It prefers older sites clearly. On the other hand, I always get long-tail Yahoo searches right out of the gate, but that is not the same as ranking.

I don't have time to analyze the details on encryption as I can see the results, and it is what it is. There is no other way to get that kind of traffic. I pinned it down to Trends.They change trends not just daily but continuously based on searches. So if I can come up with a way to make money on Robin Thicke, I'll retire soon as he is in there all the time, lol.
  • Definitely great stuff here. Also you are right on Yahoo & Bing traffic...it converts well than Google.

How's it going still mate? :)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Nothing crazy to report here except my revenue is steadily increasing with Bing/Yahoo to where it is half a fulltime Google income just by itself. $-)
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    edited March 2014
    Maybe a competitor blast your site to de-index ?

This would produce the same symptom.
  • donaldbeckdonaldbeck Advanced SER Videos -> http://bit.ly/1ySrbwu | Learn SER For Free Step By Step -> http://sertips.com
    @ron

I wanted to ask you if you still think the spike in traffic was a result of yahoo trends?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Yes, absolutely. It 100% came from search, and it could only be from that avenue. I wish I was smart enough to know it at the time because that only came up after it happened. And then I couldn't see it with my own eyes. But I know that was the deal.

If you are lucky enough to be in a category that trends, it is pure bank $$$. The whole thing got me thinking about setting up a botnet to "fake a trend". hahaha Think about it, lol.
  • donaldbeckdonaldbeck Advanced SER Videos -> http://bit.ly/1ySrbwu | Learn SER For Free Step By Step -> http://sertips.com
    @ron thanks for your reply.
    Very interesting thread. I never would thought of any of this. I'm definitely going to look into this trend stuff more.

It doesn't seem like the trends are all real. It's like they just put anything they want up there. It seems mixed. Like stuff that really might be trending mixed with things they just added in for whatever reason.

Like on US yahoo, "Best dating sites" is trending, and it was trending yesterday too. If you look at google trends though, and compare "Best dating sites" to "iphone", I mean iphone is a giant valley of mountains and "Best dating sites" is a flat line. It can't really be trending so much...
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure how they calculate it. Probably based on # of searches in the last 5 minutes or something. But the sheer volume was amazing. I had a couple of sites in 4th and 6th, and that is how much volume I got (like 8k in one day). I can't even imagine what the top guys got that day.

The thing I like the most about what happened with the penalties is it forced me to take a second look at Bing/Yahoo. Of course everybody look down on it. But I took some sites that got creamed and stuck them in a test to see how much I could make with just those guys. And I am almost at half of a full time income with just 2 websites targeting Bing/Yahoo (without those crazy spikes). And the conversion is better.

I guess my point is that money can be made in a lot of ways, so don't turn your nose up in the air just because it isn't Google. It reminds me of the old days with G where you can rank a site for years on end. Really cool stuff.
    Good points. We all need to keep an open mind as much as possible.
  • What do you mean by targeting only yahoo? How do you change GSA campaign when you want to target only yahoo/bing?
  • Btw Ron, how long it took to see results or traffic like those? I mean were those sites several months old or just fresh?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Older sites have a built in advantage with Yahoo. It is simply easier to get rankings. I honestly can't think of one situation in the last 10+ years where I haven't ranked well in Yahoo. It's just that I didn't care.

With these properties I simply don't care about Google. It's kind of liberating to not care about Google for a change. So now I focus my attention with these two sites only on trying to rank in Yahoo. I do the same normal stuff, I experiment, try different stuff, and see what happens. No magic. Just testing and paying attention to what I do. 
  • @ron - Sounds really awesome :) Great to see your smart work pay off.
  • @ron Seems great. Typically, how much pages your site (especially these ones) which rank has? I am not sure some times till where and what # of articles should I go on adding. A good benchmark coming from you would be great! :)
  • GreyMatterGreyMatter Milky Way
    edited March 2014
    One day one of my site's absolutely SKYROCKETED in all three search engines.  My ranking didn't change though, as I was #3 or near it across all 3.  I would normally get 300 a day TOTAL, and it turned into 10,000 for one day then 7,000 the next day, then taper off for one week then shot up again, but not as much.

Turns out there was a TV commercial playing on football Sundays that was essentially a product I was selling ;)

It was actually kind of interesting to see the second-hand results... almost makes me want to buy a TV commercial during a football game and see if I can profit hahaha.

For those wondering how I came to this conclusion, I simply searched for the name of the product and the date it initially spiked and I got a result for some website that tracks when commercials air.  Maybe you can try this OP.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I'm already investigating some very nefarious things. Bwahahahaha.