Skip to content

How many campaigns can i run on my VPS?

My VPS specifications are these:

Windows Server 2008 R2
RAM 521
CPU Intel 3.20GHz

How many active campaign i can have in the same time without this causing server or program crash?

Can i run 100 campaign?

Comments

• 512mb ram?

Forget it.

Even 2 campaigns will get you "out of memory" errors.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    @Crownvic not really...but yes, thats a little low memory.
  • I may upgrade to 1GB ram. I hope this will be enough for 100 campaigns or at least 50.  
  • @Sven, yes, I know it's possible to run on 512mb, but performance will be small. I'm aware about virtual memory, just think that you can avoid user complaints if you set higher requirements for hardware.

New users usually buy the cheapest VPS and expect wonders, but get no performance. This is a negative thing to the GSA brand.
  • Your better of with at least 2 gb RAM, you can have 2gb for $20- a month i think, if you cant spend $20- a month maybe you're in the wrong business
  • I run a 32GB RAM, 8core 2.4GHz, 100gb uplink, dedicated server and it's not good enough. You'll always want more, faster, better. 2GB is a minimum as SER runs at 800MB-1GB most of the time as PaulieP said.
  • You *can* run SER on less, but IMO anything less than 2 GB ram and it will get annoying pretty quickly.
  • I am now with HostStage now and the support is great but seem there is a cheaper alternatives. I searched around and i found this - trustvm.com. I don't know about the performance of their servers and the support but they have cheaper offers so i will probably move to them.

If you know other cheap vps services can you share them?
  • > trustvm.com

At one stage I had 4 of their Elite VMs and was pretty much happy. Decent performance but one of the four VMs was patchy re uptime - I was probably sharing that box with someone pushing too hard ;)
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited January 2014
    emilt9
    a lot of people on here use solidseo vps ( myself included). I used to use host stage and the VPS from solid are definitely much better (although I must admit that hoststage did have excellent support).
  • Me included, even though I was a real t-w@t to SolidSEO when they first appeared on the forum because of their self-promotion, but I have to admit that I did ultimately take a VPS from them and their reliability/service/help is fantastic...

• Well, I'm using 2 gb ram (soldseovps), with 23 projects running (no list, scraping from search engines), 24 semi-dedicated proxies, 150 threads, and GSA Ser show it's using only 600 mb ram.... so maybe with only 500 mb ram you can run around 20 projects :-)
    (I'm using at the same time also Gsa CB with 60 threads)
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @peterseo - Yeah, but you are talking about how many projects you can run at one time, correct?

On one VPS I have 150 projects, and running on scheduler I'm at 400 mb ram. Of course I have to use the scheduler with all those projects, and I have that set to 10 projects every 20 minutes. I was where you are at now where you just turn it on and all projects spin. I really miss those days because all the projects were flashing colors lol.
  • @Ron Yes, I'm talking all project running together.
    But.... why do you use the scheduler? It's because your resources are not enough to run all 150 project together?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @peterperseo - Yeah, and I have a great VPS with 6 Gb Ram and a nice xeon processor. I can't remember where exactly, but somewhere between 40-60 projects I was forced to start using the scheduler. I don't think anybody can run 150 projects flat out and simultaneously on one PC.

It took me a while to figure it out, but using the scheduler creates links more efficiently. Instead of scattering resources, you get SER to focus on less projects, and those projects get hit harder and make more links. 
  • @ron Ok, I understand, but maybe I'm not wrong if I say that to "pause the project for" 20 hours a day or to use the scheduler for let it running 4 hours a day (and after it will stop), it can be the same for the resources usage? When a project is on pause, probably it don't waste ram or other resources.

It's a doubt I have