Skip to content

URL Shorter and Ranking

I do not remember where I have read this, it said that backlinks to the redirect page (301 Redirection)  can be carry over to the ranking page. just wish someone can tell personal experience with this 301 Redirection.

and does url shorter provide the same effect? 

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    yes most url shortener use 301 redirects, just a few use 302 but you should use them as well to make it look natural.
  • edited January 2014
    There was once a time when URL shorteners worked for ranking for big keywords easily, but big G started looking for them, it seems. However, there is something else to wonder: the URL shortener site can change the target URLs to their own sometime down the line, collecting all of your link juice/power and ranking sites in no time while your site drops (which you can't figure out), so keep that in mind when you're using shorteners....and think how many companies use them and create their own....
  • but what is the differents/advantages between I built links to money site and backlinks to USL shorter? 
  • if I setup my own url shorter service using such as yourls. once something goes wrong can I just remove the service and all the links value will gone?
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited January 2014
    Hi,

The advantage to building links to shorteners  is that you can keep your link velocity to your money site down, and essentially push lots of link juice to it "under the radar", so to speak.

However, this approach isn't without it's own risks/problems though, and (depending on how you are planning to use it) probably isn't a method that I would advise you to use on a site that you care about.
  • hi 2Take2  any suggest to use url shorter ?
  • Do URL shortners even work? I always wondered the same, hmm...
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited January 2014
    @andy1024 - Ideally you would want to use a shortener that is do-follow, and uses a 301 redirect.

@Pratik - I don't generally build links to shorteners as I just use them in my spam tiers, and as @judderman says, whether they still work for that purpose is debatable. Maybe run some tests and see how you get on?